Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-09-2008 , 08:08 PM

Bump mapping program?

So I saw this program,smart bump it takes a photo and somehow makes a nice bump map form it anyways I can't find it and would like to turn a tile texture into a bump..
Could someone recommend(doesn't have to be smart bump) a free bump map program that works well for what I'm trying to do ? Also for tile grout I'm assuming I'll have to add a displacement map and a bump for the texture of the grout .
Right ?

# 2 06-09-2008 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
i dont think there is much smart about a program that makes a bump map.., the only thing smart is the guy who.., err.., 'made it.' (he is pulling in the dough)

if you have PS you have the best bump, spec and diffuse program there is (that i know of)

learn about levels as in black and white (contrast)

take the image into PS.., desatuate it.., and you have your bump. you can use the levels in the layers effects to clip it so there is not lot of middle levels.., means.., there is CONTRAST.., this is your bump map. even simpler. drop the same image you are using for the texture onto the blinn node (as an example) and choose 'bump' from the selection.., then you will need to adjust the bump depth to suite you.

you can make a good diffuse map using the red channel and a good spec map using the blue.., make sure they are desturated (black and white) go to the channels window next to layers. adjust the lavels.., especially for the spec map.

from all these you can make a very good displacement map too.., that how photorealistic actors are being done (spiderman 3, as an example.., the guy with the metal arms.., is in fact ofetn a 3D model).., i saw a lecture with Paul Devec recently.., thats where i got this info.., very friendly guy too.., id dig to hang with guys like that.

if i have made any errors here please speak up.., i dont want to spread bad info.., because what i said was from memory.

carnivorous plants?? nothing odd there.., they are great.., i used to do it.., you must have time and patience and be very caring with them.., unless you just like to feed them flies.., in that case.., yuo're eveil user added image

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 06-09-2008 at 08:50 PM.
# 3 06-09-2008 , 09:29 PM
Okay cool I don't know anything about PS but I'll try within maya. I love how now a days CGI is everywhere and all the "corny" 90s shows are not existent user added image
MY mom still thinks I'm not doing muhc,I don't have any "cool" work since all I have been doing is experimenting to understand features of Maya.
The carnivorous plants are easy
but I'm moving(selling them all/sold),
it's a pretty cheap hobby compared to my reef setup (now gone). I love how there are hundreds of species,the trading,the members and the forums user added image
Feed them ?!?!?
Never ! :p

# 4 07-09-2008 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber
you know PS means Photoshop?? if you dont know it, there are free graphic apps on the net to.., dont have to get illegal or expensive. user added image

you sound a handy lad.., reef?? is that fish??

# 5 07-09-2008 , 10:55 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
try the program crazy bump, theres a free version available. It can create Bump, Spec, Ambient Occlusion and Normal Maps from any image

Jay

# 6 07-09-2008 , 11:12 AM
Subscriber
crazy bump is goo too.
but the beta is not online anymore. [i still have the it tho]

xnormal is the same and just as good.

https://www.xnormal.net/2.aspx

# 7 07-09-2008 , 11:15 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well that was Lucky as I only downloaded the beta the other week then!!

Woohoo!!

Jay

# 8 07-09-2008 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
ive heard of texture makers but bump map makers?? what, there really is some benefit??

# 9 07-09-2008 , 03:33 PM
Yes a reef(corals,fish,inverts),I didn't get fish into it since I have 5 siblings(newborn to 13) and couldn't be driven out of town(3 hours) but it has all the nice critters and such just no fish or neat corals. And I'm moving so I can't justify spending money on fish or corals now.. But the water is perfect and all worms,feather dusters and whatnot are happy.
I did get the live rock from a local store but the guy is a rip marine fish wise... It's a very expensive hobby,I've spent $500 just to get a setup thats appropriate for fish and soft coral.typically a 55 setup for SPS,LPS and softies go for $1000 just for Live rock and the equipment(tank included)

Thats it ! Crazy bump user added image I'm a newbie to bump maps so that will be perfect until I get better at bump map creation and whatver else.