Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 05-10-2010 , 04:07 AM
Wire

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 05-10-2010 , 07:14 AM
The thin red line
Nice modelling.............dave

# 33 05-10-2010 , 11:52 AM
Subscriber
Really like the helicopter Leon. Im working on one myself at the moment, a hind.

Had a question for you.

Have you imported objs from Maya much into Vue. Do you have problems when you do so? (Geometry breaking, textures etc)

# 34 05-10-2010 , 02:05 PM
Cheers guys,

Have not really had much trouble with importing obj's into vue. That said the best way is to use vue xstream. This way you can set up your ecosystems, materials etc for your scene in Vue. Then with Vue on your maya shelf you can open up the scene into maya. This basically enables you to have all of your maya models textures etc working within Maya.
There is a scale problem though, if you set up your scene in maya and then export the terrain into Vue, when you import this back into Maya the terrain will now be 50x larger I think. It all depends on how you go about setting up your terrains though. I prefer to create the terrain in zbrush as showed in the wolf thread in the wip section. If I import the obj into Maya and begin setting up the scene with models animation etc I will run into a scaling problem when exporting and importing the landscape to and from vue. It is easy to avoid as you simply take the terrain into vue 1st off. You can either begin work in vue or export the terrain as an obj. When opened in Maya the scale will be correct on this allowing you to begin animation, adding models etc as you can then delete the exported obj and open in the finished vue landscape once complete. I am not 100 percent on this though as I am still testing it on this hummer wip and the wolf one. I did complete a project where I set up a golden falcon and camera animation which I wanted to render with Vue but it was a bit of a headache and am hoping x stream will work out better. With that method I had to export the falcon with a geometry cache which was not to difficult but getting the camera animation into vue was much trickier. I cannot remember the exact method off the top of my head but if you need it let me know and I can give a run down of what I did.
Hope that helps and good luck with the hind, you got it on the site as it would be great to see.

Last edited by leonlabyk; 05-10-2010 at 02:19 PM.
# 35 05-10-2010 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
Havnt posted it yet. Ive been having some problems with it - as Im box modelling it im having trouble with edge looping and getting the right balance between hard edges and parts where there are round shapes, and the structure that holds the cockpit windows isnt very good and Im thinking of redoing this part.

My confidence in modelling had gone up a notch recently and now this has knocked me back a little bit again. It is supposed to be a partcular Hind, but Im tempted now to simply 'base it' on the Hind, and model it out my own way. I will start up a wip thread soon.

Re: the xstream. I have Vue 8.5 Infinite and dont have the Xstream plug in. Ive only tried exporting a couple of objs to Vue from Maya, but they have distorted quite badly. I guess it's poor construction in Maya rather than the Vue's fault. I think the objects I exported were some buildings from a matte painting I did, the meshes were pretty crude/rudimentary.

# 36 05-10-2010 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ben hobden
Havnt posted it yet. Ive been having some problems with it - as Im box modelling it im having trouble with edge looping and getting the right balance between hard edges and parts where there are round shapes, and the structure that holds the cockpit windows isnt very good and Im thinking of redoing this part.

My confidence in modelling had gone up a notch recently and now this has knocked me back a little bit again. It is supposed to be a partcular Hind, but Im tempted now to simply 'base it' on the Hind, and model it out my own way. I will start up a wip thread soon.

Re: the xstream. I have Vue 8.5 Infinite and dont have the Xstream plug in. Ive only tried exporting a couple of objs to Vue from Maya, but they have distorted quite badly. I guess it's poor construction in Maya rather than the Vue's fault. I think the objects I exported were some buildings from a matte painting I did, the meshes were pretty crude/rudimentary.

edit: posting now in wip

# 37 06-10-2010 , 01:49 PM
The thin red line
Hi leonlabyk
Do you do any hard edge modelling with out using the 3 button?, just a question..............dave

# 38 07-10-2010 , 01:15 AM
Good point dave, when I am modeling stuff that is mainly hard edges I will only use the 3 key later on in the process. The main trick is to make sure that when you are modeling the base mesh you keep in mind where the edge loops will be so they flow along and around the mesh.

# 39 08-10-2010 , 06:20 AM
Made some more progress on this and hope have the modeling finished up tomorrow evening.

user added image

# 40 08-10-2010 , 06:32 AM
The thin red line
Thats realy nice, hope the texturing will be as good that would look great, is this going to be a animation..............dave

# 41 08-10-2010 , 06:50 AM
Lifetime Member
WOW man.....thats a bloody ripper model mate!!!! I agree with dave..this will look s**t hot when its painted!!!!!! good job mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 42 08-10-2010 , 08:43 AM
Cheers guys, Yeah the plan is to set up some animation with this over the sea. Modeled a load of ct guys with dive gear and will have them jumping out. They are all rigged and ready to go once I get the textures set up. Also looks like I will be able to post some of the animation work I am doing up here as I am allowed to put certain parts in my portfolio once complete. Once this beast is done I will then be going over everything to set up textures and will post progress as I go.
The hope is to get all of this stuff looking as close to real as possible.

Thanks again for the kind words, much appreciated.

# 43 08-10-2010 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber
That looks cool Leon. It's wierd, this should have almost been the current SM challenge as Im gonna (try) and animate mine too. No humans though. Just a take-off or something, following the apache animation tutorial on here.

I like your renders of this by the way, the indigos and blacks in the shadows. They're really rich and the contrast really helps show the model well. Looking forward to seeing how this comes along.

# 44 10-10-2010 , 06:59 AM
Subscriber
That black hawk is amazing!

I modelled one some time ago and had a right old time with the engines, absolutely superb mate!

Can i ask you...please please please, how did you set up that amazing render ??????

free memory low..exception thrown
# 45 10-10-2010 , 11:14 AM
Cheers Guys,

At work at the mo but almost finished and should have some final renders of the modeling side this evening. The setup simply involves using maya's physical sun on this Paldav. As long as you are rendering with mental rray you should find an option for creating this in the render settings. I am using Maya 2011 so all of the conections are automatically set up but not sure if this is the case on pre 8.5 maya. Let me know how you go and will do my best to explain further if you need it.