Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-11-2003 , 11:11 AM

mirroring on the fly

hi,
how do you do that thing in maya where, if you are modelling a symmetrical body, you model one side and the other side gets modelled too as you keep going. thanx a lot.

P.S. i just vaguely remember some feature like this...sorry if its not even part of maya...

# 2 30-11-2003 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
1. Select the object

2. Goto Edit menu->Duplicate
(Click the little box to the right of duplicate to bring up the options dialog.)

3. In Duplicate Options find Scale input boxes. There should be three of them. If I understand correctly they represent X, Y, Z.
Anyways, it's the first input box that's interesting. Set Scale X to -1

4. Make sure Instance is checked in the same dialog.

That should do the trick.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 3 30-11-2003 , 03:25 PM
Subscriber
This is the one thing about Maya that I have problems with - I think there should be a modifier in Maya that does that automatically. Cinema 4d has one that works well. I think it is called "symmetry"? It works well because it welds the two halves together while you are modeling and when you are through you make it "editable" (something like that). It replaces numerous steps that you have to do in Maya.

If I knew how to write mel, I would make a plug-in that does that. but I don’t user added image

# 4 30-11-2003 , 04:23 PM

Originally posted by AlphaFlyte
Anyways, it's the first input box that's interesting. Set Scale X to -1

That's not necessarily true. It depends what direction he needs to mirror in...he could be working in the z-axis or y rather than the x.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 01-12-2003 , 02:48 AM
thanx a lot...i got it now. it works. thanx.

# 6 01-12-2003 , 02:51 AM
Subscriber
Howardporter, they make a mel like that. its called CPS. it dose teh mirror and also smooth proxy all at the same time..

# 7 02-12-2003 , 04:09 AM
Subscriber
ooh. I have seen that talked about, but i havent tried it yet. I think i will now user added image thanks!