Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 05-07-2003 , 09:05 AM
Perhaps I can write one today?? I'll post later when It's finished! Cheers!

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 17 06-07-2003 , 12:28 AM
Subscriber
Really? that would be sweet! I am having a tough time getting my head around this whole rigging thing.

here are my UV's unwrapped-

I have a problem area on the head- any ideas how to fix this or do you think it isnt bad enough to worry about?

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 06-07-2003 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber
and a smoothed version with flat color for the different areas...

still need teeth,wires for the glasses and eyes user added image then on to the painting!

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 06-07-2003 , 01:42 AM
Subscriber
Hey howard, I dont know if i understood right, but it sounds like Brian ellebracht could give you some tips for what to do when you get a creased area like that. I have had the same problem but just didnt care about the squash. For yourself though, you may want to look into that.. maybe PM him. I remember reading that he doesnt have to UV unwrap his models or something.. so maybe he has some tips :O.. i would like to know as well.

Other than that though, this model is looking really great! I could definately see this guy living on the moon.. hahaha, has that loner look to it, like he has been on the mooon for quite some time with no one to talk to.. maybe he had a computer though heh. BTW, congrats on how you unwrapped that mesh.. its very clean! How long did that take you? I am also very interested in how you are unwrapping that model... How did you get it to cut like that when you mapped it for the head area.. its makin me crazy. Even though i thought i understood UV texturing... I would have to say it seems that theres a lot I dont know about.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com

Last edited by M; 06-07-2003 at 01:46 AM.
# 20 06-07-2003 , 01:52 AM
Hey howard!
Sorry, but the tutorial will be up tomorrow...
about the squashed areas, have u tried the "relax" command in the UV editor, it works very nice!! Have tried to write the tut in a very easy way, but I guess I'll hear about it when u read it!!!
Keep up the good work!! user added image
Cheers!

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 21 06-07-2003 , 01:56 AM
Subscriber
Hey M-

I will try and talk to that talented bastard user added image when he gets back from vacation.. He is too damn good!

I spent maybe 2 hours today unwrapping that bugger... No automap, I selected faces and planer mapped everything... then moved and merged the UVs

Hmmnnn a computer would be good for this lonely old sod! Ha! I will work on that too user added image

# 22 06-07-2003 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
Sir- No Prob man- and I havent tried the relax command... but i will nowuser added image

did you create your avatar? its really nice.

# 23 06-07-2003 , 02:11 AM
Yes! It's one of my ladies! user added image Check out my homepage to see more!
Have been struggling with mayas subd for a while now! user added image

# 24 06-07-2003 , 03:18 AM
Subscriber
Yes that was an amazing model sir avalon! Still remember it user added image. One thing though that anyone can answer.. if you planar map, everything will connect right? So how did you get it so that you had the sides of the head, and all the way to the back of the head to be disconnected, can you disconnect UV's? Anyways, if that makes no sence its probably because im just not understanding a key element! Hahhaa.

# 25 06-07-2003 , 04:16 AM
Subscriber
SirAv- duh! why didnt I click on your homepage beforeuser added image I remember downloading your boot camp-ani a while back and being very impressed. Great work! Nice site too, its now on my favorites list user added image

M- I totally understand what you are saying... here is what you do:
open your UV window&your poly planar mapping window(mapping direction=camera)

1:select all the faces of the object you want to map

2: in the perspective viewport menu= show/isolate select/view selected

3 deslect all-- then select areas that are mostly planar (like a side of the face)dolly around so you see all the planes in the viewport

4 in the poly-planar-options window click apply

4b then viewport menu= show/isolate select/remove selected

5 in the uv window, select all the uv's you just mapped and move aside... way aside

6 repeat, and move your uv's around-merge uvs-etc

sounds harder than it is... you get a more managable set than if you automapped it.

whew* user added image

# 26 06-07-2003 , 05:47 AM
Subscriber
ok- teeth and glasses, heh he he.:o .. and now its time for sleep...

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 06-07-2003 , 08:37 AM
Subscriber
Looking really good Howard! About the crease I know I 'rabbit' on about the rabbit tutorial on this site a lot but it has a bit on moving the UV's around to get rid of creases and unwanted bits. Also useful for M as it explains about planar mapping the faces! I might try going for 3 future posts without linking it! I CAN quit linking the rabbit tutorial! Look I am not even linking it now (as I am sure you can find it).

Model is loking really nice, only minor thing would be about the face- perhaps if he is an older man in the moon he might need a few wrinkles on his forehead? He just looks quite young at the moment, because he is so smooth. Just noticed as your concept has wrinkly hints. Or perhaps you are going to do things with the cheese texture- if so sorry.

# 28 07-07-2003 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
Thanks a lot Howard user added image. I have nothing to planar map at this time, but im going to save your post in a word document and follow it along once i have to UV unwrap my mesh.

I have watched the video of the rabbit witchy, and its a wonderful video at that. I learned a lot about mapping from that video, and learned even more from mtmckinley's site. What howard just explained though is much more of a higher level ( i think) and I had no clue how to do it until he explained user added image.

The teeth look really nice! Also the glasses are great user added image.. do you even have the small screws modelled? Heheheh. Pointless polys unless you want total detail.

# 29 15-07-2003 , 05:36 PM
Subscriber
Just recalled this thread (I think this model is great)- can I ask how you made the glasses?

# 30 27-07-2003 , 04:18 PM
Subscriber
for the lenses and metal around them I revolve some splines which I created in photoshop. I cant control the spline creation in maya as easily as in photoshop... I am sure maya's tools are better but i am just not used to them yet.

the rest is polys... seperate shapes all grouped together...no screws in there tho' user added image I will post a shot later today

but in the meantime user added image I rigged him up, I still have to paint his texture tho'

Attached Thumbnails