Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 17-03-2012 , 11:14 AM
Yeah I like Modo's render engine, it's far more intuitive then either Mental Ray or Vray. It seems similar to the render engine recently added to Lightwave as well, but I have only seen videos of it from the Lightwave release.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 17-03-2012 at 11:17 AM.
# 32 17-03-2012 , 01:12 PM
Lifetime Member
The new version of Modo (601) was release just a few weeks ago. Looks like a killer release. As well as improvements to the render engine, it now has inbuilt Hard and Soft body dynamics, metaballs, particles, full volumetrics, improved hair and fur, a full morph/deformer/rigging implementation for character animation ....

... the Modo devs have certainly been busy over the last 18 months. It pretty much came as a blindside to most of the Modo community ... we were all expecting something to do with dynamics and maybe some CA tools, but to come out with what they did is just short of a superhuman programming effort....

# 33 17-03-2012 , 03:16 PM
One of the main reasons I'm learning Maya is so I can use Vray and 3Delight. A lot of houses over here have started switching to Vray, I know it's not magic but you just have to see the quality work being done with it to know it has something going for it. Yeah, the Modo release rocks. This was rendered in Modo, but probably the old version.

https://www.conceptruin.com/

# 34 17-03-2012 , 03:31 PM
The Nurb Herd
so you want to be a lighter?

# 35 17-03-2012 , 06:01 PM
Lifetime Member
@DJ - Given that they used LW for the rendering I'd guess it was done in Modo 501 or before since there's no way that kind of CA could have been done without much heartache prior to the new release.

Very impressive short though.

# 36 17-03-2012 , 10:22 PM
Technical Director

Because they've written Vray around Maya's architecture, Mental Ray was an existing standalone engine and they've cut and chopped it in places to make it fit within the architecture sometimes cutting away features or diminishing them in some way.

Vray was worse. It was 100% Max based in the beginning :p

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 37 18-03-2012 , 10:13 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Vray was worse. It was 100% Max based in the beginning :p

you're right that is worse LOL, lucky for us Autodesk is making Maya more like 3ds Max with each release Hahaha.

@djwaterman:
I really liked that sequence, I thought Modo was a voxelbased modeler and had a render engine just like Zbrush

# 38 18-03-2012 , 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

It's not dying out. It's just getting old. Just like Renderman. With all the years of development, it's bound to have some legacy code in it. Newer renderers may benefit from having smaller, fresher code bases, which allows them to put in some pretty neat new features, and have faster releases; but the older ones have been tried and tested in production.

Let me just say this, and try to avoid more people jumping onto this; use whatever tool gets the job done, and you feel comfortable with. Don't switch just because something's becoming popular. Switch because it does something that your current solution doesn't. In production, whole pipelines are built around a single solution, bet it Renderman, Mental Ray, Vray, etc; and it's therefore extremely hard, if not impossible, to change solutions without grinding production down to a halt.

Use what you want to.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, I think there was a mix up there. I should have been clearer, the question was directed towards SirCharles.

- Genny
# 39 19-03-2012 , 02:03 AM

@DJ - Given that they used LW for the rendering I'd guess it was done in Modo 501 or before since there's no way that kind of CA could have been done without much heartache prior to the new release.

Very impressive short though.

Just to be clear, the animation was done in Lightwave and it was rendered in Modo. Probably now they would do it all in Modo since the upgrade.

# 40 12-04-2012 , 05:27 PM
Administrator

# 41 24-04-2012 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber
More than which renderer I would like to use, it matters what renderer they (employing company) uses.
Learning mr or vray is a possibility via tuts, I wonder how to learn a renderman compliant renderer like 3delight, even if its free.
The bigger players have been using renderman. Lately RnH has been using Houdini(mantra) too.

# 42 24-04-2012 , 09:45 PM
Technical Director
I loved Brazil; we used it heavily at one of the studios I was at; however it was bought, and hasn't been heard of since. It's turned into vapourware :/

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 43 25-06-2012 , 06:08 AM
Lifetime Member

I agree that mental ray is too damn complex. You seriously have to have a PhD in light theory to half understand what a quarter the damn switches and knobs do. That is why in the end people just turn a shit ton of unnecessary stuff on (since most have no clue what each really does and how each affects the other) and end up with painfully slow renders and mediocre results.

I honestly spent a day reading through the docs and they read like PhD research papers in quantum hyper pan dimensional light theory originally written in German and then translated to English by a French person that only speaks Chinese.

To do it right you have to spend a metric butt ton of time twiddling mysterious knobs and dials to get a decent result. So seriously, what is the point of getting a render down to some small time if you have to spend 5 days twiddling knobs and dials to get a result that only applies to a single frame!

If you have not seen the modo render engine, I recommend you look at it (I believe it is the same that was just added to lightwave 10 and 11). I have used it several times and it's as close to the magic "make it look photo real" button as I have seen. It's very intuitive and relatively easy to use. I am not sure what is under the hood but it's also fast, and seems to have a maxwell constantly iterating feel to it.

Very nice thread and points of view from everyone. user added image

I do tend to agree with ctbram even thought I am way behind in fully understanding MR.
Still it's important to understand MR I think, which is Maya's core render and will always gives you an edge.
Also, Vray seems to offer a much streamlined workflow for what I saw / understand so far.

I honestly spent a day reading through the docs and they read like PhD research papers in quantum hyper pan dimensional light theory originally written in German and then translated to English by a French person that only speaks Chinese.

hahahahaha, you made me laugh with that one haha

Just saw this video. Published on May 21, 2012 by ChaosGroupTV

The Latest in V-Ray, Konstantin Gaytandzhiev, workshop at FMX 2012 - YouTube

Last edited by cgisoul; 25-06-2012 at 06:16 AM.
# 44 25-06-2012 , 08:35 AM
The Nurb Herd