Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-12-2002 , 05:30 AM

please help me with my urgent blendshape problem

hello guys.
i have a problem here with blendshape and set driven key....

fig1 shows the arm rotated in the Y axis at 90degrees...i added a blendshape/setdriven key combo that will deform the shoulder armpit area when the joint rotate in this manner...

everything is nice and perfect until i rotated the elbow joint(i also have a set driven key there that activates the blendshape when ever it rotated in x90 so the elbow dont look ugly when the joints move)...the morph target of the elbow somewhat affects the morph effect of the shoulders as well(fig2)...i tried removing the vertexes in component editor...but i cant find them is there a way to fix this? in max,u can apply the morph/angle trick locally to a given group of vertexes...is there a way out of my problem? please help me.

:-)
# 2 25-12-2002 , 06:10 AM
The Maya Mountain
I don't believe blend shape can be applied to just a portion of a surface...

# 3 25-12-2002 , 06:20 AM
is there a work aRUond? can i set the vertexes off?

i knew that u were going tobe the 1st one to answer!! lol :-)

# 4 25-12-2002 , 09:21 AM
what i am having is interloping morphs

# 5 27-12-2002 , 03:07 AM
I've never been good with making blendshapes for arms or elbows Mike rocks at it. I just spend the extra time painting weights and weighing vertices. Have you tried using influence objects for the shoulders and elbows? I'll try and figure some other options out for ya also.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 27-12-2002 , 04:11 AM
Subscriber
Here's something I picked up from the Gnomon Videos, it may help (or not).

First of all this might be kind of buggy so you might need to delete both of the blend shape nodes, delete history and start over.

Do the blend shape for the shoulder first. When you are creating the second blend shape (for the elbow), click on the "Advanced" tab in the option box and set the deformation order to "Parallel".

By doing that you are telling Maya that the new blend shape mixes together with existing blend shapes instead of overwriting them.

Hope that helped.

Steven C.

Last edited by sdch1000; 27-12-2002 at 04:13 AM.
# 7 27-12-2002 , 07:00 AM
The Maya Mountain
I'll have to try that, sdch! user added image

What I've usually done is have multiple copies of the arm, torso, whatever for making different blendshapes for the shoulder, elbow, etc... kinda like having multiple head models for facial morph targets.

# 8 27-12-2002 , 01:02 PM
sdch: cool!!!!! im learning something new everyday here in simply maya :-)

what im doing now is making sets for the vertexes...it works fine :-) it applies the morph locally :-)