Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-10-2011 , 08:21 PM

UV mapping based on mesh normals

Hi,

I would like to project UV on a plane based on its normal, because I don't know the rotation of it and need to get perfect representation in 2d without any optical scale. Is there a way how to achieve such effect?

Thanks a lot

Gaucher

# 2 05-10-2011 , 10:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
A plane in maya will have uvs anyway, so where ever you rotate it and apply a texture they will remain condusive to the surface until you begin editing the surface

J

# 3 09-10-2011 , 11:01 PM

Uv based on normal

Hi, thanks for reply. My problem though is a bit more complicated. Actually it's not a nurbs surface but a polygon detached from a model. The only thing I know about it is that it's completely planar so all vertices are on a same plane defined by its normal. My goal is to get perfect representation of the polygon's shape without any possible deformation. I know it might be done with some descriptive math, but unfortunately I'm not an architect so I'm looking for some simple trick and this was sort of obvious to me that when I get some normal coordinates or be able to prejct UVs on the polygon's normal specs, the job would be done. I'm not sure if I explained it well.. Nevertheless, any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Gaucher; 09-10-2011 at 11:04 PM.
# 4 09-10-2011 , 11:07 PM
I kind of figured it was a poly hence saying your uvs will be condusive to the surface until editing it - unlike a nurb which will stay consistent.

If its a single polyplane then I suggest you hit auto mapping, it will find it and give you the exact shape. I think you are trying to look for something overly technical which it really doesnt need to be. Keep it simple the results happen faster.

See my result: I did a poly plane with ten divisions, extracted this one out and distorted it, hit automap and the uv on the left is the result, you can see theres no distortion on the chequer texture. Your representation of the poly is in the uv editor, you can snapshot that out
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 10-10-2011 , 12:02 AM
I wouldn't give a shit about a small scale but the goal here is to produce a graphic which is ment to be cut from paper so the model can be constructed in real. It can't be seen using checker but automatic mapping doesn't solve my issue. Even when I tried to **** around a bit with the parameters it allways deforms it slightly

Here's the ilustration of what's going on

https://images.taureau.cz/image.jpg

Gaucher

# 6 10-10-2011 , 12:13 AM
Okay dude well lets keep the bad language at a zero here. The automapper was a straight forward idea.

With the experience I have of Maya I dont thinks theres a simpler way, unless anyone else has any thoughts that Im missing - did you try to hit unfold in the UV editor? Usually that will unwrap that uv to its world space shape and hopefully you'll get what you need.

With the amount of reshaping on those polys you have there, I dont think you'll get it simpler.

Jay

# 7 10-10-2011 , 12:19 AM
Oh man, I guess unfold does the trick!

Thanks for help You rock

# 8 10-10-2011 , 12:45 AM
Technical Director
If you want to cut it out of paper, you can unwrap it any way you want in Maya, and then use some papercraft software such as Pepakura, which will do all the paper folds and unwrapping for you.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 9 17-10-2011 , 05:30 PM
Oh man, thats the very most awesome hint. Many thanks