Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 08-11-2005 , 12:34 AM
Subscriber
Thank heavens for laptops!

# 32 08-11-2005 , 12:38 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Nusirilo
Thank heavens for laptops!

Except when the batteries go flat . . . like mine is about to right now :headbang:

# 33 08-11-2005 , 10:17 AM
Dave I'd be interested in helping out with a UK based one. Could be kinda fun.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 34 09-11-2005 , 12:46 AM
Technical Director
Oh yeah, did I mention that there is a full kitchen and unlimited caffeine :p

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 35 09-11-2005 , 11:14 PM
Subscriber
How about a San Jose based one? user added image

I've taken some online Maya classes and what they do is set you up with a schedule for doing your assignment. There are written notes with screen caps, and tutorials. Then there is a forum where you post your work for critique. Students respond with critiques you fix it. Like someone said earlier, it's almost like just going to this site and learning to the tutorials, butttttt there's a schedule. Plus your money is on the line so you have more reason to actually try and finish it. I find it MUCH easier learning online than sitting in class where you scramble to write notes. user added image

Another thing that made it cool was because it was a specific topic. It focues on areas for modeling, texturing etc. So you learn it specifically. Maybe for the class, we can schedule ahead of time and have the instructor setup the things you want to learn. He works on the tutorial and WA LA!! Pretend I want to model an ear, ask to model an ear and he runs it down for you and does it. user added image
Anyhow have something going on! This is a great idea. user added image

# 36 10-11-2005 , 12:27 AM
Technical Director
Well we already have online training here at SM. We're talking about in real life.

# 37 10-11-2005 , 08:15 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
AnhSlaught

The idea of the classroom is to do one to one teaching in a group of say 12 people (example) like in college

You'd all have a computer with Maya on it, then you would all sit listen and do the work together in a semi-studio environment.

I would say there would be a rota of modelling thru to animation in 2 to 3 days so theres something for everyone in class to get there teeth into and shine in the areas they are strongest at. Show your peers how to do it and all that kind of thing.

I have done the Maya courses in the past and have found them a little boring. Watching some guy talk and show his skills and read his notes 2 days later is not the same when you could do the work yourself, listen to teacher and your fellow students, learn as a group but with a freeform hands on approach. Which to me is more enjoyable approach. Problem solving as a group in these sits become more enjoyable as well so ya dont bang ya head against the wall for two days figuring out a problem that could be solved in seconds.

Also working hands on is a quicker learning process than reading from notes: Step 1 open Maya, Step 2 create a cube blah blah...

Cheers
Jay

# 38 10-11-2005 , 09:48 AM
Subscriber
This sounds really cool if it did happen, my main intrest are modeling & also texturing to give it life.

I like the idea of working hands on with maya on a computer while going along with the instructor. Thats the way for me. I can't learn the same way from reading books, notes *yuck*

Not as effective as real time/interactive.

Wonder where the main locations would be decided.

Im also near San Jose CA, in between there and San Francisco.

# 39 10-11-2005 , 11:15 AM
Subscriber
also some peoples interest is only in modeling or pnly in animation so maybe splitting the groups up into 2 sections and taught by different tutors may be an idea

# 40 10-11-2005 , 12:21 PM
also some peoples interest is only in modeling or pnly in animation so maybe splitting the groups up into 2 sections and taught by different tutors may be an idea

Absolutely, no point getting a modelling guy to do animation may as well do it at home on your own

Jay

# 41 10-11-2005 , 01:48 PM
Subscriber
Just like to give this idea my vote.

Instead of having to bring your own computers maybe a local college art department would agree use their MAC/Computer room. Although even if they did it'd have to be evening hours.

# 42 10-11-2005 , 07:05 PM
CKYUK

We wouldnt want anyone bringing their own equipment. As I said watch this space

Jay

# 43 18-12-2005 , 06:30 PM
was talking to mtmckinley of doing some thing like this.
how ever my idea is to set up a network(LAN of sorts).

the idea is to have a virtual classroom of no more then 6 students 2 teachers and 1 moderator.

The Moderator will be working on network stability and monitoring student behavior over the network

The two teachers will be helping the students (if you didnt know :O) over a live video/audio feed (as well as textchat).

and the students can follow along, ask any question (on the spot).

so the idea is you dont have to take a trip. and should not cost an arm and leg when and if it is set up.:bow: :bow:

# 44 18-12-2005 , 06:43 PM
Subscriber
great Idea Shadow user added image
id love something like that.

# 45 20-12-2005 , 11:40 AM
Technical Director
As I said before, I am only a few blocks away from Alias' Headquarters. I could go over and maybe snag some copies of maya for us.

Anyone have connections with BoxX? user added image