Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 12-11-2005 , 12:45 AM

Learning Maya 7

Hello,

I've just got the "Learning Maya 7 - The modeling and Animation Handbook". It looks pretty cool and it comes with a DVD with a bunch of files, textures, etc. The only problem: I can't read DVD's on my computer. Does anyone know where I can download at least the files needed for the lessons?

I've searched on the entire Alias site and I couldn't find anything.

And yes, I know I have to buy a DVD drive...

Cheers,

Eduardo

# 2 14-11-2005 , 03:45 PM
My Suggestion:

Get a dvd drive.

Those files if downloaded would be a violation of copyright. We do not condone doing this on our site.

Saiyan

# 3 14-11-2005 , 07:38 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Then how did you get Maya 7 on your machine may I ask? both install and extras discs are dvd format. If you are pirated software, please go elsewhere

Jay

# 4 14-11-2005 , 11:06 PM
I never said I had Maya 7, I just bought the books!

# 5 15-11-2005 , 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Jay
Then how did you get Maya 7 on your machine may I ask? both install and extras discs are dvd format. If you are pirated software, please go elsewhere

Jay

He could still be using the PLE-version, which is just fine, and available for download.

McWolfe

# 6 15-11-2005 , 12:19 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
He never said he had either, so lets leave it at that.

Jay

# 7 15-11-2005 , 09:56 PM
Why all this misunderstanding? Why the implications? I have Maya 6.0. I just wanted to buy new books. I don't have a DVD drive, so what? That doesn’t prove anything.

Syllogism:

"All humans are mortal, I am a human, therefore, I am mortal"

"He has no DVD drive, therefore, he's using a pirated version..."

I think you need a second premise, Jay! (no offense)

# 8 15-11-2005 , 10:36 PM
relax edoplaza user added image user added image
life is like that,
pirated or original, my approach is, if got money, buy the original, if no, then think somewhere else or download the educational pack. imagine a country where people earning per month is less than USD 150.00, so, does this mean their kids cannot learn maya coz their parents cannot afford the software? they even got problem to get a old 486 pc. they even can't afford to buy the old version maya.

i agree if, they say, "you are poor, so you cannot enjoy those luxuries (good food, lobster, high class home and so on ...) ", but i strongly disagree, if they say "you are poor, go away, you cannot learn this and that".

Last edited by mrcome; 15-11-2005 at 10:41 PM.
# 9 15-11-2005 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Saiyan
My Suggestion:

Get a dvd drive.

Those files if downloaded would be a violation of copyright. We do not condone doing this on our site.

Saiyan

downloading those files would not be against any violations.

many publishers do so. many 3d published books do so.
many have available chapter files/scene files available.

so if u buy a book and u break the cd that came with it, u go buy another book?....

# 10 15-11-2005 , 11:47 PM
Exactly. I BOUGHT those books from Amazon; I paid $88.18 for them. So I think it is my right to get those files whenever I want.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...999530-9907268

When I ordered the books, I just didn't notice they came with DVD's. One year ago, I bought “Maya 6 The Complete Reference" wich comes with a regular CD ROM . So, I really thought it was the same thing for the new ones. I'm not asking for a suspicious site to download the files from, just an official site, like Alias. And apparently they don’t have them. The modeling book uses 3 reference files in lesson 1 (the usual files you import as a reference image). That's all I want! I'll probably scan those files from the book until I get that DVD drive.

Cheers
:p

# 11 02-12-2005 , 01:12 PM

Originally posted by edoplaza
Exactly. I BOUGHT those books from Amazon; I paid $88.18 for them. So I think it is my right to get those files whenever I want.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...999530-9907268

When I ordered the books, I just didn't notice they came with DVD's. One year ago, I bought “Maya 6 The Complete Reference" wich comes with a regular CD ROM . So, I really thought it was the same thing for the new ones. I'm not asking for a suspicious site to download the files from, just an official site, like Alias. And apparently they don’t have them. The modeling book uses 3 reference files in lesson 1 (the usual files you import as a reference image). That's all I want! I'll probably scan those files from the book until I get that DVD drive.

Cheers
:p

free ımesh ares and kazaa
p2p.....but zone...
85 $ no how much.....ati rdeon 9200:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

# 12 13-12-2005 , 06:31 PM
not sure who makes the book you got, but plug in the isbn number on their website and usually it will find the book and any downloads for it.

depends on the authors site. we had to make a cd version at school cause the computers did not have dvd-rom drives when we started. you can get a drive for $12 if you look brand new. or maybe used by you. but i paid $18 shipped for a dvd drive only. burner a little more.

# 13 15-12-2005 , 03:54 PM
Suggestions:

1. Purchase a DVD drive as media is increasingly in this format.

Or

2. Contact Amazon or Alias and see if they can let you download the scene files you want. There is a reason that this may be difficult to find without contacting them.

If you find the files on a site not authorized by the Author of the book....then it's in violation of a copyright.

# 14 15-12-2005 , 05:16 PM
The price of a dvd reader is only a very small percentage of what you have paid for the book user added image

# 15 15-12-2005 , 11:31 PM
I finally got my DVD drive!!! I can't wait to start following the tutorials. The sad thing is that I already read the 2 books!...
They are pretty cool by the way, but I think I prefer a different style. These are more like a big walkthrough. I prefer to read about theory and general topics.

Thanks for answering,

Cheers.