Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-04-2003 , 04:25 PM

::aniMan::

This is another MEL project I am currently working on. It will be a collection of scripts that will help you through the rigging and animation proces of your characters. This is what it already does;

- Import predefined skeletons (for now I have three skeletons: low res, med res and high res).
- Scale predefined skeletons to match character
- Setup selected skeleton
- Create animation UI
- Add objects to selected character (an object is something a character can pic up)

user added image
high res image

If there are people who have ideas for expanding the list of features please let me know. Thanks.
When the project is done, I will post the scripts on the forum.

::maNus::

# 2 17-04-2003 , 04:27 PM
Cool man! Sounds GREAT!

Can't wait to try it!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 17-04-2003 , 11:19 PM
aahhh that sounds too good mate...lookin forward to try it and will give u some cool ideas after trying...user added image

# 4 18-04-2003 , 08:35 AM
Subscriber

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 5 18-04-2003 , 08:43 AM
Hey Manus,

That's looking really cool. If it's possible, I'd be interested in testing out your script. I'm the main character rigger on my team, and I've been thinking of writing some auto-rigging scripts to speed up our pipeline (got at least 15+ character to rig). It would be really cool to see what you're doing.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 18-04-2003 , 09:11 AM
Subscriber
Great idea!!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 7 18-04-2003 , 10:18 AM
Hi,

I just started writing a procedural biped skeleton builder. By this you'll be able to create your own skeletons. I 'll try and post the scripts next wednesday.
Stupid easter bunny user added image I hate family stuff...

# 8 19-04-2003 , 05:45 PM
that sounds cool... please keep this thing in mind that there should be some easy way to scale the biped according to the model...i m just mentioning it cause one of my friend has this script...which works like Character studio for max(same biped thing)...but its not very easy in that to scale the biped geomatery(skeleton) according to your model.... since then we had been looking for somethin like you have mentioned....
wish u best of luck with it and looking forward to see it ....user added image

# 9 25-04-2003 , 11:24 PM
Using aniMan - create

user added image

This is a little tutorial that explains the use of aniMan - create(beta1). This is just the first version of this script, so it's possible that the workflow will change over time.

Before you can go on, you first have to download the aniMan scripts and the following sample scene.
https://www.manus3d.be/forum_maNus/aniMan_createTest.ace
https://www.manus3d.be/forum_maNus/an...ate(beta1).ace
Put the scripts in the script folder, start Maya and load the aniMan_createTest.mb sample scene.

Skeleton
Activate the aniMan - create window by typing maNus_aniMan_skeleton; in the Command Line.

Type mol in the name Field. This will define the name of the skeleton as "mol_skelet".

Select molGrp in the outliner and hit get it. This loads the selected object in the object field. The molGrp transform node now will be used to determine the size of the skeleton so it fits the selected character.

Adjust the number of vertebras to 7 and hit create skeleton. Now the mol skeleton gets build.

You can adjust the position of the joints by using the locators. The big sphere icons move the entire arm, leg, back or head joint chains..

When you finished positioning all the joints you can add fingers and toes to the skeleton. Select the root joint. The selection handle from the root joint is displayed so you can easily select it.

Change the number of fingers to 4 and push add fingers. Now the fingers are added to the skeleton
Put the finger joints to their corresponding position in the model. Select the root skeleton joint, deactivate the create big_toe checkbox and push add toes. Now the toe is added to the skeleton. Position the toe using the locators.

Remove all the locators by selecting root joint and hitting the cleanup button. Now you have finished building the skeleton.

Skinning
Go to the Skinning tab. Select the molGrp in the outliner and push get it. This loads all the separate mesh objects from the selected character. By default the script uses smooth binding. This is also
the reason why the ribs option under skeleton is activated by default. It makes the painting of the influences much easier.

Select the root joint and hit Skin. The three objects are skinned to the skeleton. You can now paint the influences of the 3 different objects.

Setup
After painting the influences for the 3 meshes you can setup the skeleton by going to the setup tab, selecting the root of the skeleton and hitting the setup button.

Now your character is ready for animation.

If you have some comments or ideas please send my a message at manus3d@pandora.be. Thanks.

# 10 25-04-2003 , 11:32 PM
If you want to see aniMan - create(beta) in action then you can take a look at the following screencapture. It's one I did this morning and since then I have been changing the script quite a bit but it will give you a better understanding of what the script does.

Enjoy,...

# 11 30-04-2003 , 03:46 PM
user added image

The selection menu of ::aniMan::

Enjoy, ...

# 12 17-05-2003 , 08:05 PM
EDIT: What I said was rubbish, its working fine now user added image Thanks Manus, this script is great user added image

Black_Robe

''Where do we go now?Where do we go now?...''

Last edited by Black Robe; 17-05-2003 at 08:23 PM.
# 13 20-05-2003 , 05:14 PM
Wow manus that's cool. Thanks for idea. user added image

# 14 20-05-2003 , 05:24 PM
Cool I saw it on cgtalk i'll ait for you final before i D/l it.

Great stuff

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb