Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 31-05-2012 , 01:12 PM

Uv sets help.

Hi there,

I am having a little trouble with UV sets, i have currently mapped my model, but due to the sze of it i need to spread my uv map over 4 UV sets so i can apply a different "texture" and "bump map" to each.

i have laid out my UV's in seperate quadrants (i know that each quadrant is a duplicate of the top right) but i have done this so i can see the 4 sections i need to split my uv map into.

what i am struggling however to do is transfer them, i am currently selecting all objects, then selecting the uv's i want to transfer in the UVTE, i then go Create UV's > Copy uv's to uv set > copy uv's to new uv set.

i am just getting Syntax error, so i know im doing something wrong, if anyone can shed some light on the situation it would be greatly appreciated.

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/92495987.png

Thanks in advance.
-Luke

# 2 31-05-2012 , 01:33 PM
The thin red line
As you have finished modelling them you can combine the meshes for each set then use a different shader for each UV set, I fined it easy that way..............dave

# 3 31-05-2012 , 01:38 PM
so if i understand you correctly, i must take uv snapshot of each quadrant and texture in photoshop, then create 4 shaders with a different texture on each then assign the shader to the relevant quadrant. removing the need for seperate sets alltogether?

Kind regards
-Luke

# 4 31-05-2012 , 01:46 PM
The thin red line
First of all then you combine you uvs sets you need to move them into the top right quadrant as this is the only place were textures will work, yes I do use shader to control my UVs I find UV sets just anoying but if there is a better way Im sure some one will jump in...............dave

# 5 31-05-2012 , 02:04 PM
Ok thankyou, i am going to go see my college tutor about this problem and will let you know how i get on.

# 6 01-06-2012 , 11:15 AM
Solution

After alot of tinkering and talking to my tutor we have found a good workflow to follow to overcome this issue.

Firstly apply seperate shaders to the areas of the object that you have mapped and want on different sets.

and create PSD networks for each of the shaders.

Then select the UV's you want on a new set and File > Copy UV's to set > create new set

finally in the relationship editor you must create the links between material (shader) and UV set.

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/12205375.png/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/68141461.png/

Hope this helps people
-Luke

# 7 01-06-2012 , 11:21 AM
The thin red line
Good to see you found a solution with your tutor...............dave