Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-06-2015 , 12:05 PM

More Precise or Automatic UV Mapping Method?

I am trying to map a texture onto minecraft characters, so it isn't anything that advanced. I haven't been doing UV mapping in Maya for that long so I don't know the tools and capabilities very well. What I am doing is creating polygon primitive cubes, scaling them to the correct size, applying my material (which is a minecraft character skin) then selecting the faces one by one (eg. the front face) and doing Create UVs-->Planar Mapping then resizing and moving the ?UV shell? to match the correct face. This is very time consuming and isn't perfect either.

I have tried UV mapping minecraft characters in Cinema 4D using a different method and it is more than 3 times faster. Basically I select the face I want to map the texture on, go to my UV texture editor, divide the width pixels I want it to be by the width pixels of the actual image, which is 64px (I do the same with the height pixels eg. if I wanted to map a texture on an object 8px wide and 12px high I would make the scale 8/64 for X and 12/32 for Y). I then set my snapping to 3.125 and move it into place. Not only is it faster, it is perfectly lined up.

Is there a way to do this or something similar to this in Maya? Please watch this video where I map the texture onto a Torso in both programs if you need more information on speed and method. (it is sped up 10x).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeQr...ature=youtu.be

Thanks in advance user added image