Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 121 10-03-2016 , 11:25 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Also just wanted to add to a previous post regarding SubDs. Theres really not much call for them anymore or we would have done a tutorial here.

because of the sheer power of machines these days poly counts are going through the roof, because of render engines such as arnold, that can handle staggering amounts, its just mad. We are finding we are using displacement maps less and less as we are sculpting to pure geo that is standing up well on screen.

Jay

# 122 10-03-2016 , 02:13 PM
Subscriber
something along the lines of the house but with an old castle like hogwarts or maybe a FA-18 fighter jet

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 123 11-03-2016 , 10:12 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Jay,

You have amassed a nice collection of ref. sites.

Have you come across any steam locomotive sites that you would recommend.

Cheers,
D

# 124 12-03-2016 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber
Motion graphics-based Maya tutorials. Ideally, Maya to AE workflow. But since this isn't an AE site, I don't expect that.

Lil
# 125 26-04-2016 , 11:47 AM
hi, everyone can u pls help me to improve my skills in making 3D design, but ican't continue my work co'z my persfective view have problem, its look like mottlled.

help me pls,,user added image

# 126 26-04-2016 , 12:28 PM
hi, everyone can u pls help me to improve my skills in making 3D design, but ican't continue my work co'z my persfective view have problem, its look like mottlled.

help me pls,,user added image

# 127 07-07-2016 , 12:58 PM
Lifetime Member
Not sure if anybody uses Renderman but a tutorial on a typical character / still life rendering would be fabulous.

# 128 07-07-2016 , 01:15 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Renderman is going the way of the dodo unless you work at pixar. These days its arnold or vray

# 129 07-07-2016 , 03:08 PM
Lifetime Member
Pity, as neither seem to have a free to use non-commercial version. My Maya use is purely educational after I got rid of my SGI octane II a few years ago. I'll try out the renderman written tutorials on the renderman website.

# 130 07-07-2016 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber

Interiors and Furniture in Maya 2016

I'm sympathetic to all people who make Maya tutorials because Maya updates the UI so frequently, tutorials expire quickly.

I've done most of the Hard Surfaces tutorial make with Maya 2015- which was really great. But for about 20% of the video, I either couldn't figure out how to do it in 2016, or could figure it out only through web research. (One of the problems with being a beginner is you can't find alternate methods).

Anyway, I would buy the Interiors and Furniture tutorial - it looks awesome - but it's 2014 and I'd just hit my head against a wall even more with the 2014 interface. I know I could download an old version, but 2016 really has some features that make things easier, and I hate to lose those benefits.

Anyway, if you do an update, let me know!

Thanks,
Kathryn

# 131 14-07-2016 , 11:05 AM
Subscriber
It's a good idea to go through a few of the tutorials that come with Maya. I found that after doing those I could figure out most of what the older tutorials would be talking about
user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 132 09-08-2016 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber

Cars or Planes kind of model

I would love to see a tutorial on how to do a similar model to cars or planes. Mainly the eyes and eyelids. I have searched high and low but there is no tutorial for this except with a blender submarine tutorial which is good but the lattice seems to work differently for me in maya.

# 133 03-01-2018 , 05:18 PM
Subscriber
I absolutely loved the Living Room/Bedroom/Room tutorial. I'd never seen detailed furniture like that which was easy to follow along with yet brilliantly designed and detailed. I learned so much not only about modeling but also scripts I hadn't heard of previously.

While I like the robot one, I lost interest at some point (my fault for a short attention span), but came back only to see blocky legos and a beer tut. I know tutorials like the bedroom one must be time-consuming, and then comes Autodesk with a new version making many of your teachings obsolete. But please do another tutorial on that level of the room. No one else has one out with as great detail taught as well as your's.

Lil
# 134 16-05-2019 , 10:36 AM
Lifetime Member
I would like to see another training Tutorial following on from the Robot series. Could you do a tutorial where you animate the Robot in a scene to walk and talk and do some movements?

# 135 17-05-2019 , 08:53 AM
Lifetime Member
I would like to see a tutorial on the workflow to take a Poser Character and import into Maya. Create clothing for that Character (Such as Spacesuits and accessories etc) and import back in to Poser for correct setup.