Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 12-02-2011 , 01:15 PM
hi bullet i did try something like lighting, hdri and rendering in mr it works
but i just confuse.. what problem with the texture as it forbid me to put on it
whats going on abt the texture because i kind of wanna make rusty look car, my robot can y my car cant..user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 12-02-2011 , 01:19 PM
hi ash3010 all those setting like u mention to me, i did try also works well in mr.
however when i try texture(even i used low res 700*500) on it, and render in mr it become a problem cant render.i just wondering whats happen on my car texture because i want to make a rusty car...user added image my robot can make it and my car cannot..

# 33 12-02-2011 , 01:35 PM
Lifetime Member
Yeh mine locked up first time Ash....I didnt try that...I think Omega is trying too much too quick. I grouped the whole thing dude...I didnt have time to edit it. Thanks for dropping in though mate! Got me stuffed Omega...maybe Ash has a better idea....sorry mate Im at my limit.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 34 12-02-2011 , 02:57 PM
Subscriber
Ok I understand.
@Bullet mine locked up too now.

Ill have a look later when i'm at home.

# 35 12-02-2011 , 03:21 PM
hi bullet thanks for your time to help and guide me but i think i too slow ald, i just start learnt abt geometric obj and not complete yet and organic obj i din even start because i wan try to settle my problem b4 i can move to new thing. Ash thank you for ur guidance. i much appreciateuser added imageuser added image

# 36 12-02-2011 , 03:45 PM
Subscriber
Not a problem. If you are just starting out I would recommend the following points to work on:
  • Refresh on what Bullet said earlier about always finishing your model before playing around with textures, skipping out steps is the downfall of a lot of people.
  • Research the various techniques for builing cars, my personal favorite is, mapping out Nurbs curves, lofting the panels then converting them to a low poly mesh. This way you have a quality edge flow but your panels are different pieces of geometry (as car panels are in reality).
  • after you are happy with your model, prepare your UV's, extremely important if you intent on adding additional specific detail such as rust, stickers, and mud etc

I may well start from scratch over the next week and put a tutorial together for a shader network dealing with car panel rust, its something I've not really looked into before. If you haven't solved your issue by then i'll post it here for you.

# 37 12-02-2011 , 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
It's not your map or shader. The probllem is your UV layout (it's messy, a lot of overlapping) and your shader has texture connections, unsmoothed it renders fine, soon as I hit 3 and render, it gets to about 95% done and crashes. I can see how the problem didn't come up with Maya software renderer because it doesn't take adavantage of the smooth preview.

The problem went away when I :

1. I slapped an automatic mapping on it.

or

2. Broke all texture connections on the shader.

edit: forgot the "or" just so you know you don't have to do both user added image

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 12-02-2011 at 07:31 PM.
# 38 13-02-2011 , 02:57 AM
thanks ash i will try settle my problem
Gect is it i rearrange my uv layout then texture problem will settle??

# 39 15-02-2011 , 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

thanks ash i will try settle my problem
Gect is it i rearrange my uv layout then texture problem will settle??

Yes at some point you will need to redo your UV layout, that seems to be the source of the problem.

- Genny
# 40 19-10-2012 , 11:18 AM

Thanks

If your model was fine and has slowley started to lag your model might have build up quite a history when modelling, this can cause maya to lag as it is processing all this in the background.

To delete the history select the model and go to Edit -> Delete by Type -> History.

This clears the history and should speed Maya up.

Thank you, I've been wondering why that is....

a little random but thanks anyways!