Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 14-02-2013 , 08:22 PM
Technical Director
I would suggest making the breasts out of spheres, like nude models usually are. The way you have them now will cause issues when deforming. I think you could also spread out some of the loops at the top of the head, as they aren't evenly spaced at the moment.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 17 14-02-2013 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber

I would suggest making the breasts out of spheres, like nude models usually are. The way you have them now will cause issues when deforming. I think you could also spread out some of the loops at the top of the head, as they aren't evenly spaced at the moment.

Next Design - This is just for a still - No plans to animated this one and the poly flow for the jacket works better for the details that need to be added.
As for the head I have already said its going to be covered with hair and will most likely deleted or not seen. But I don`t think the spacing is that off - maybe a little at back of the head where some extra detail was need to attach the ear. Any way the below image show what I think will be covered up (if not more) by the hair.

But thanks for the comments I see what your saying.

murambi - cheers man

Attached Thumbnails

# 18 14-02-2013 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber
Basic part of the jacket is done - Got some body defamation in there for now but will do more once I have the final pose sorted. The jacket is body hugging in place and not so in others. Also started work on the zip but again will place that once the final pose is done.

user added image

# 19 14-02-2013 , 10:13 PM
Technical Director
Did you attach the arms to the jacket? If it is, I'd advise against it, as it not only creates weird seams, but it also makes it a massive headache when detailing other things connected to it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 20 14-02-2013 , 10:45 PM
Subscriber
I attached the sleeves of the jacket - she currently does not and don`t think she ever will have arms.
If you look at the ref you can that at the shoulder there is a very thick seem which I have tried hard to get right. That`s why in the colour version of the images the sleeves are black, with apart of the blouse stick out of the end.

Here is some ref to what I`m going for

Ada Wong Escape's Skill - YouTube

And a great fight scene

Resident Evil Damnation - Cat Fight - YouTube

Last edited by tweetytunes; 15-02-2013 at 05:34 PM.
# 21 15-02-2013 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
OK got the skirt done. I used the zip I did for the jacket on the rear of this as I don`t think the final pose would be too far from this any way and I think they would be of same design as its a matching suit.

user added image

Here is what I got so far in total then (missing the neck piece and teeth -opps). Just refreshing myself with some training videos on hair and think might have a go at that next as I hate hands and feet.

user added image

user added image

# 22 16-02-2013 , 12:09 AM
Subscriber
Hair part 1 - Modelled in polys, then covered to Nurbs, Lastly created the hair curves. Made them in polys as I can`t use Nurbs for love or money. On the plus side of doing it that way - if it all goes wrong I can always just texture the hair on to the polys hehehe

I am thinking I nailed the shapes in her hair - just hope I can do it justice with hair systems now...

user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 16-02-2013 at 12:16 AM.
# 23 16-02-2013 , 06:05 PM
Subscriber
Maya Hair pt2 - Errr this process is so long and boring - all this work for a good set of cures. Had enough for today so will finish the hair of tomorrow now.

user added image

# 24 16-02-2013 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber
OK can anyone explain to me why I`m going this result. Looking on-line there is nothing to explain this (that I can find).

user added image

# 25 16-02-2013 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
Well turns out the lighting played a big part of the problem - but still not rendering the hair strands just these horrid clumps

Any help welcome !!!!

user added image

# 26 17-02-2013 , 01:19 AM
Subscriber
OK turns out its a scale problem - going to have to go back and scale everything up as I just can`t get the look I want at this scale. (currently 0.001 hair width and its still too thick). It`s not looking to bad for a first pass.

user added image

# 27 17-02-2013 , 09:55 AM
The thin red line
Looking good tweety you might want to thin it out a little as you have got a lot of hair systems going on, how long does it take to render...............dave

# 28 17-02-2013 , 02:12 PM
Subscriber
Cheers man.

Those images took 23 sec for the front and 28 for the side. That hair system has gone for now as im in process of upscaling everything to real world scale due to the problems. It meant i did not have that much control over them at the time but I did like the resault but yes lots of tweaks need.

# 29 18-02-2013 , 02:54 PM
Subscriber
Ok cleaned up the scene - renamed and grouped everything - Got rid of anything not needed - resized the model and restarted the hair from scratch.

Before the resize the head worked out to be 4cm (whoops) but rescaled now I have her at about 1 meter 80 cm. Found a site that states she is 5 foot 7" which if I add her heals would be about right.

This is the images straight of the bat - Looking good and not too far of my early results. Need to fixes in some areas like the parting and the missing bits towards the rear of the head. My biggest headache I think is the bottom of the hair..... So here`s to tweaking.

Render time has gone up to 4 min a image (2k x 2k) but I have upgraded the settings quite a bit.

user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 18-02-2013 at 02:56 PM.
# 30 20-02-2013 , 10:57 AM
rm3d
hey loving it so far. i like the low poly had, i seem to always end up with far too many polygons. lol. hair systems look like a lot of fun user added image but the results seem decent at the mo

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk