Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-06-2005 , 04:32 PM

cage modelling?

Back when I used to model in 3D Max, I used to use a technique I referred to as cage modelling. That's basically when you create a cage out of curves that will form your model. Then you ran a function in Max that would take all of your curves and make a surface out of them.

Is there a similar function in Maya? I guess I could cut up all of my curves, make a hundred or so surface>boundry shadpes, merge them all together, and clean it up. However, if there was a a button solution like Max, that's be so much cleaner.

Anyone?

Thanks,
-dann

# 2 01-07-2005 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
Hello

I realize that this thread was posted a while ago but i thought i'd answer anywayuser added image

Yes there is, surfaces> loft. You have to select the curves in the right order. If you select the first curve and then the last and then the second the surface will go from the first to the last and finaly to the second, assuming you know how to make curvesuser added image

GL HFuser added image

# 3 01-07-2005 , 04:45 PM
Thanks for the bleated response, but lofting is not the same. When lofting, your curves are all going in the same direction (usually along the V direction of your shape). However, with the Max feature I was referring to, you created the curves for the U & V of your shape (intersecting one another). It's a lot like patch modelling, but you don't actually have to have many separate patches, you just get one model from it. It had to be one of the best modelling tools in Max, and I wish Alias would just copy tht feature and put it into Maya.

# 4 11-07-2005 , 06:43 PM
Have you tried using Birails yet?

# 5 11-07-2005 , 07:32 PM
Yes, I like Birails, but it's just not the same. The tool I want just doesn't exist in Maya. I've come to terms with that.

# 6 06-08-2005 , 12:26 AM
What about Boundary?

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 7 06-08-2005 , 12:27 AM
Never mind - Scrap that idea above - Dann already mentioned it in his first post..

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.