Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-12-2005 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber

Character Rigging and Ik

Hey all, working on another project that consists of modeling, texturing, rigging, animation etc. I just finished modeling and I've created the joint structure and parented the body sections to the appropriate joints (all rigid binding) and I'm having a little bit of difficulty setting up the Ik structure for the character.

My first problem is how do I change the way a joint moves so that it bends correctly. The pictures below show my problem. The knee needs to move like a human knee and it obviosuly isnt doing that.

Second, I'm not sure how i should set up the Ik structure for the arms, seeing as how the are a little more complicated (fingers) than the legs. Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks all!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-12-2005 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber
And the leg problem:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 07-12-2005 , 04:58 PM
Subscriber
Here's a close up of the arm structure:

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 07-12-2005 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
when u were laying out your joints u should have set them slightly bent toward the axis u want the ik to calculate from.

but u can disable the iks,
select the elbow [or knee joint] rotate them in the correct bent angle then right click on the joint and choose "set preferred angle"

then 0 them out again to default position then enable ik again

Last edited by vladimirjp; 07-12-2005 at 05:33 PM.
# 5 07-12-2005 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
Thanks a ton, I'll try it out.

# 6 08-12-2005 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
Unfortunately its not working user added image and I'm stuck again. I've played with a bunch of settings but nothing seems to work. If anyone wants to take a look at the maya file and help me out, just give me your email address and I'll send it. Thanks all.

# 7 08-12-2005 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
I somehow got one of the legs to work properly, but I think it was a mistake because I cant figure it out for the life of me user added image

# 8 08-12-2005 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber
Just got the legs to work, still not exactly sure how I did it, but I think I'll have it down by the time I finish the arms...