Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 16-12-2005 , 11:48 AM
Subscriber

A big favour...

As you may know I've been having a lot of trouble normal mapping a character I'm working on, would someone be so kind to let me email them the models and for them to carry out the normal mapping then email me back the result? My computer keeps crashing out everytime I try to do it on mine for some perculiar reason.

Thanks for your help

Ps I'm using Maya 6.0 Unlimited

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 16-12-2005 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
anyone...?

# 3 16-12-2005 , 01:31 PM
Subscriber
upload the file somewhere then pm me the link if youd like. ill look at it.

# 4 16-12-2005 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Vlad, the problem is that I have no webspace to host the file/s, if you would be willing to help me drop me an email at plumb666@hotmail.com

Thanks.

# 5 16-12-2005 , 02:42 PM
Subscriber
Vlad, can you check you pm inbox please.

Thanks

Last edited by j5ive; 16-12-2005 at 02:48 PM.
# 6 16-12-2005 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
looking now

*edit:

i think the problem is with your UVs, they are overlaping, and they are not layed properly in 1-1 uv space.
its not a problem to have multiple meshfor a game character, but if you are normal mapping its usually a better idea to have a continuous mesh.
so u need to shrink your uv's for the low rez and make all the peices fit all in the same uv grid. even if they are not combined as one polygons, u can select multiple uv maps from multiple objects in maya.
as for the normal map not appearing, if your video card is not good enoug to display normal maps in the viewport it will not. i cannot display them on my quadro 750; thats a pretty old card.

another thing, for making normal maps, i use normal mapper from ati and melody. melody is very user friendly with a nice UI. and they are both free.

Last edited by vladimirjp; 16-12-2005 at 07:15 PM.
# 7 19-12-2005 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber
Hi Vlad, cheers for that. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1) My graphics card is an NVIDIA Quadro FX Go 700, could this be the reason why I cannot view the map?
2) I have already textured the model, so if I have to re-lay the UV's is there any way I could use my current textures still or would I have to start from scratch?

I'll check out normal mapper thanks for the tips!

# 8 19-12-2005 , 12:35 PM
Subscriber
yes, your vid card cannot support to display norm map in viewport.
u can still keep your current textures, its not big problem. just edit them in the texture editor.
p.s. your high rez does not have enough geometry to really take advantage of normal mapping. its only 10k polys, some game models these day are a little more than 15k polys [next gen]
for normal maps, my high rez are usually hovering above 1million polys for high detailed work.
also for normal mapping i use the normal mapper by ATI. and sometime melody or ZB.

normal mapping can really be a pain in the arse m8, u have to know before u even start the model how things are going to be set up, and what the model will be used for.
user added image

# 9 19-12-2005 , 02:09 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help! BTW the high model is near 30,000 but I know what you mean, even that still doesn't really make the most of normal ampping, this was/ is an exercise to get to grips with normal mapping.

edit: how can I redo this via the texture editor? Do you mean by re laying the UVs taking a screen shot then re scaling my existing textures to fit the new shot in ps, or is there a quicker way?

Last edited by j5ive; 19-12-2005 at 02:21 PM.
# 10 19-12-2005 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
i mean just edit your uv's in texture editor to fit on your textures.

# 11 19-12-2005 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
Hmmm, sorry I just cannot see how that will work. As you know all of my textures were done as individual photoshop files then imported in each assigned to their own material etc. Ie the head was uv layed out then exported to ps and textured itself, then the pants etc etc. So surely if I just adjust the UVs so that the whole model uv is in the topright quadrant, then all I will get when I apply this is a mess of textures?!