Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-05-2006 , 04:11 AM

3d logo render

hello. i did a 3d render of the logo for my website. i just wanted to get a little advice on how to add some "spice" to it. below is the render and the screenshot of the light rig. thank you!
kevin c
www.artofkevin.com

user added image

user added image

# 2 09-05-2006 , 06:35 PM
HDRI! hdri is great for this, adds awesome reflections

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 09-05-2006 , 07:03 PM
Or add a refection map to the material, so the reflections are just there as a HDR can wash out a scene with reflections if your not careful

# 4 09-05-2006 , 07:22 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude thats an intense rig for your lights. You could have used HDRi on it or if you aren't comfy with Mental Ray a 2-3 light set up with raytraced soft shadows would have done this no problem.

As for the look the edges could do with a good bevel for starters and I'd personally lose the floor, wood like that is just too cheesy, maybe just float the logo in black space but i you want a reflection just add a reflection map as already suggested.

Cheers
Jay

# 5 09-05-2006 , 07:35 PM
Subscriber
the wood kills it

First year 3D Grad
# 6 10-05-2006 , 04:36 AM
thank you so much for the input. this is my first attempt at doing 3d logos.... as far as beveling the edges, this was created from a curve i drew, so its in nurbs. i tried converting to polys, but for some reason, the shading didnt really look right. maybe it was the way that the normals were facing, but it was real difficult for me to get that to work.

hdri was mentioned... forgive me, but i have no idea what that is... i would need a lil more info on that. i want to continue to work with it, so anything that would point me in the right direction is helpful. i definately do want to have it on a surface, with a reflection, because i havent really seen examples of a free floating logo, though im sure that it can stand alone if rendered correctly. thanks again.

kc