Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-08-2010 , 02:45 PM

Some work I made :D

Hey guys, here are two new structures I made, just to show them:

user added image

I actually thought of this as a finished project, because I didn't even know how I would texture it, I did this house about 2 months back, and now I really want to try to texture it. If anyone could give me any ideas that would be really nice.
This is actually my first project that I spent more time on then 1 day.

user added image

This is my first attempt at texturing. I thought I couldn't do it, but it came out pretty well if you ask me.

user added image

Aaaand... this is a rendered version of a battlemech I made, the first attempt at hard surface modeling user added image I'm now very interested in texturing this aswell.

Please post some feedback on my work, i'll be really happy to hear any advices.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Aurorap; 29-01-2011 at 08:21 AM.
# 2 09-08-2010 , 03:01 PM
The thin red line
I realy do like the first building thats nice, not that keen on the church its lacking some thing (detail, balance), The mech thing would look good with a texture..............dave

Edit:sorry did not answer your question, for the first building get as meny referance shots of simular buildings then start from there. The church the colours are a little washed out could be your lighting, a good first...........dave

Last edited by daverave; 09-08-2010 at 03:06 PM.
# 3 09-08-2010 , 03:04 PM
thanks dave, yeah I guess both the mech and the house really need a texture :p

# 4 09-08-2010 , 09:42 PM
Lifetime Member
Dig the first house mate...looks really good. We dont have houses like that here so its nice...reminds me of the country.

Yeh I think I agrre with dave,,the church may just be lackin some detail?? You wouldnt notice it so much in an environment...the roof texture looks too light???

Mech is nice...will look good textured in a small environment.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 09-08-2010 , 09:43 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
First house is deffinatly the best and comparing it with the other two models I suspect it is from a tutorial ( doesn't matter, if you did it, then you did the modeling and it's good training).

The second house needs a bit more work( both texture wise as modeling wise)

And the Mecha tank....trust me when I say that no VFX supervisor wants to see one of those...ever again LOL ( bit of an insiders joke, in a couple of years you" ll get it too user added image )

Just keep it up and we will have a great 3D artist among us user added image

# 6 09-08-2010 , 09:49 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL mastone...I take it the mechs have done their dash in the industry??? Such poor..maligned creatures!!

Yeh looking at the 2nd one again...maybe extrude the blocks (bricks) a tad to give it some depth?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 09-08-2010 , 10:24 PM
hehe ok thanks guys. Oh and btw the house was not from a tutorial... I did it whole on my own.

# 8 01-09-2010 , 04:52 AM
Subscriber
can i see a clay and a wire of that first house...i really like it...just like to see what kinda wire youre working with to get an idea

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 9 11-09-2010 , 10:28 AM
Subscriber
I like the first house alot... some close wireframes would be good user added image

# 10 17-09-2010 , 02:50 PM
sorry it took a while, here are the wireframes

user added image

user added image

# 11 19-09-2010 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber
Wires look good and clean user added image have you ever thought about attempting to stitch the entire model up? Just a thought though... lol

# 12 19-09-2010 , 08:04 PM
hmm what do you mean by that?

# 13 22-09-2010 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
By stitching i meant combining all the models into one piece... Its not really that necessary i guess but is usually applied in game models i suppose haha user added image

# 14 29-01-2011 , 08:19 AM
Sorry I haven't posted for so long user added image..
Here is the house finished.. just need to make a better lighting then just "Create physical sun and sky". Could anyone point me to a good lighting tutorial?

user added image