Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 03-01-2004 , 09:37 PM
Subscriber

Modelling mountains?

Hello!
I will need to model mountains for my scene, so I was thinking is there a way perhabs that you make an alpha map, and us it as hight map for generating mountains? I have heard about terragen, but can you export actaul model to Maya and modify it later? Is there perhabs any tutorial or tips about it?
Tnx!

# 2 03-01-2004 , 09:47 PM
Subscriber
Hmm, you are probably thinking of a bump map. basically, you just make a greyscale image of what you want your mountains to look like from overhead. You take this image and map it to a plane's shader's bump map attribute.

umm... I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be to make mountains from a bump map though. Seems like it'd be easier to simply model.

# 3 03-01-2004 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber
No, I don't mean bumb maps. I mean if there is any function in Mayaor plugin that helps you making a mountain easier. I have seen somewhere(can't remember where) that you can make the mountain with terragen and export the mesh into maya. With bumb maps you actually simulate bumbs, but what I need here is actual model of mountains.
I hope I said it clear. Tnx anyway for trying to help me user added image

p.s.: oh, and with that alpha map I ment if there is a way to generate a model (and not bumb on a singel plain) using that alpha map. So at the end of process, you have the model of mountain, not only a singel plane (where the results are only seen when rendered).

Last edited by Sil-Valeor; 03-01-2004 at 09:56 PM.
# 4 05-01-2004 , 02:47 PM
create a nurb plane, 50 subdivisions, and use nurb sculpt tool to push and pull the plane into mountain shapes.

# 5 05-01-2004 , 05:23 PM
Read up on displacement mapping.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 05-01-2004 , 05:28 PM
Subscriber
Tnx for suggestions!
@NitroLiq:
yeah, I just found out about that thing and it just what I need. user added image
The only problem is, that when I convert displ. map into polys, it has a height of 0 (or at least I think so;when you look it from the side view, it looks just like a plane), so I have to scale it when it's already converted (which is not a problem). Anyone know perhabs why?

# 7 06-01-2004 , 12:41 AM
0 is the default. You can edit the attribute in the displacement shader.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 06-01-2004 , 04:40 PM
user title spammer
make a nurbs plane with 50 x 50 spans

nurbs scuplt tool

assign a map to control displacement

set max displacement

afterwards you may want to convert it to polygons -> convert with "fit" option, that way you get only a few polygons ...

you got better control that way than using disp-maps directly

# 9 08-01-2004 , 08:33 PM
Someone gave me a link to a superb mountain tutorial a few days ago, too bad I don't have it anymore, Since it screwed up maya so badly that I couldn't restart it user added image. But I must say bump mapping in 2d and 3d combined is quite effective, so I would experiment witht that approach user added image.

# 10 09-01-2004 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
# 11 09-01-2004 , 08:31 PM
Subscriber
Tnx everyone!

I figured out you make a terrain in with terragen, then save it in lwo file and convert it into mb.