Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-03-2004 , 01:37 PM
Subscriber

My first Maya-attempt

Hi!

I know, it's just from one of the tutorials, but I felt, I could need a bit of feedback on that one. I fiddled a bit with the sword-textures and the lighting.

Since this is my very first attempt to learn Maya, please comment on this one. I need some feedback.

Thanks for your time

Neo

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-03-2004 , 02:10 PM
Kevin
I think it looks bloody good! maybe add a nice enviroment .. but the sword looks sweet

# 3 20-03-2004 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber

Environment-Test

Hi!

I've been experimenting on a surrounding, but without great success. One test was some kind of a table (with tablecloth, thanks to the cloth-tutorial. :-))

And here it is. One more noobie-question: How can I do realistic shadows? Is there a simple approach to that problem?

Thanks again

Neo

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 20-03-2004 , 02:52 PM
I usually use Final Gather with Mental Ray, and play with the settings until I get a nice shadow.

"The first rule in government spending: 'Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?'" - From the movie 'Contact'.
# 5 20-03-2004 , 04:08 PM
Looks great !!

Were did you get the mesh shader ?

# 6 21-03-2004 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber
The Shader for the blade comes with the tutorial. I just tweaked the settings for the layered shader. The instructions for building the one for the handle and the golden parts also come with the tutorial. I also just optimized them to my liking. The one for the "tablecloth", it is on (which is fairly just a test) is a simple, home made texture.

I hope, this answeres your question. If not, please let me know. (Yeah, and look into the tutorial for the sword texturing :-))

# 7 22-03-2004 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber

Sword-Handle

Hi!

I just wanted to post a picture of the sword-handle, as I think, you can't see it on my previous photos. It's pretty much that one of tht tutorial.

Thanks for all the great tutorials, by the way!

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 22-03-2004 , 07:47 PM
Very nice for a first, I'm impresses!

I know how hard it can be starting out in the 3d art world, talk about being lost when you open maya for the first time.

# 9 23-03-2004 , 12:28 AM
That is DAMN NICE work for your first attempt at Maya!! Keep it up!

-------------------------------------------
# 10 23-03-2004 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
yeah very very nice .see you got a thing for texturing

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 11 23-03-2004 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber
That's right. In the last few nights, I discovered, I'm not a modeling-guy. :-) Texturing is much nicer. You get nicer results faster. *lol*