Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-04-2007 , 04:51 AM

Four sided poly faces

Just got through the cartoon dog tutorial. First, I'd like to say it's a great tutorial, and I learned a lot.

My question... why is it important to try to keep the polygon faces to 4 sides? What's wrong with five side or three sided faces?

# 2 16-04-2007 , 05:28 AM
Depending on what you do with 3d modeling, it's best to keep your geometry in quads (4-sided polys) for the sake of deformations. Most game platforms have no issues with triangles. 5+ sides are going to give you outright bizarre deformations when animated.

If it's going to be a perfectly flat surface that is not going to be animated or interacted with (dynamics), you can have 100+ sides for all anyone cares. :p

# 3 18-04-2007 , 07:56 PM
I think I now understand what you mean, thanks! How come 3 sided won't matter in games? Won't your objects be moving around, too, like it would in an animation?

# 4 18-04-2007 , 08:02 PM
Lifetime Member
At render time all the faces get converted to tri's anyhow for rendering, if your model has all quads then the conversion is very predictable as it's a case of splitting the quads in half but if you have n-gons (5sided or more) then you have no way of knowing how the n-gons will be split to convet to tris and can give unpredictable results which is another reason to stick to quads even for a still shot.

# 5 08-05-2007 , 10:15 PM
thanksuser added image user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image

# 6 08-05-2007 , 10:28 PM
Senior Software Developer
And to continue where JS left off.

All games render in real time so all models should be triangulated prior to importing into an engine. Triangulation works 100% when models are all quads.

The issue is all about rendering, also its worth noting if you are going to convert your polys into Sub-D or NURBS then n-sided polys will give a lot of issues as will 3 sided. So keep 3 sided to a minimum (only use where there is no other option) and never have n-sided polys.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)