Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-02-2008 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber

1st Model Need opinions

Howdy Folks,

This is my first ever model of anything. Can I get some input as to how it's looking (honest opinions even if it stinks)? It really boils down to I don't know any better and wanted some experienced opinions. I drew the image planes and then started modeling the helmet you see. Anyway I appreciate your time and input on this. user added image

# 2 24-02-2008 , 01:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
No image mate...

_J

# 3 24-02-2008 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber

The Image was too big sorry

Here is the image. Seems I posted the original and it was HUGE this one should be better. THanks and have a good one.user added image

Attached Images
# 4 24-02-2008 , 01:54 PM
Not much to crit, but it looks a little heavy on poly side especially in the visor

keep it up show some more progress when you can

Cheers
Jay

# 5 24-02-2008 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber

Thank you Jay

Thanks brother, I am working at this slowly between real work and studying for CISCO tests hehehe. Mainly just doing a little at a time trying to get detail in where I can and cleaning up as I go. I just added the indention into the top of the helmet tonight. I'm seriously a newbie but the tutorials here on the site as well as alot of the threads I have been reading are helping a lot. Again thank you very kindly for the input.

"It takes 23 muscles to smile and only
6 to pull the pin from a grenade."
# 6 24-02-2008 , 03:14 PM
No problem, you'll find that everyone here is pretty cool with crit etc, keep posting your stuff and getting crit, you'soon get ahead and get even better and make friends too

Cheers
jay

# 7 25-02-2008 , 04:20 AM
I think it looks really good for a first model, just make it green and smooth it then you're good to go. user added image

Keep it up

# 8 26-02-2008 , 07:00 AM
Subscriber
I'd have to agree with Jay. You have far too many polygons in there it looks like.
If you want to make it very smooth in the end I would advise you use what is called a subdivsion proxy.

If you are unsure of what that is - it is a copy of your model that is Smoothed. Using subdivisions it adds geometry to smooth the model. With the proxy you can adjust just how much it adds to make it smooth.

I will see if I can find any pre-created reference material for you, or I will create a little tutorial on how to do it so you can see for yourself. As you start to learn these things in the program you will probably go back and re-do a lot of the stuff you first work on and realize how much quicker you can do things then.

But for a first model it is looking really good. Keep it up, and if you need anything let me know!
Cheers
-Alex

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”