Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-10-2011 , 12:44 PM
Lifetime Member

SMTut_Eyes_Bullet

Hi guys,

gave this a go today for a change...finished it. Needs a bit of work still but as a start it is ok I think? Thanks Jay for a good quality quick tutorial...really enjoyed this one.

Cheers Bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 07-10-2011 , 02:59 PM
Lifetime Member
Bullet,

The eye looks great my only suggestion would be to darken the outermost edge of the iris (limbal ring) to make the eye a little more realistic.

Jake

# 3 07-10-2011 , 06:39 PM
The thin red line
Looking good Bullet, are you sure your Australian that eyes not blood shot......LOL....dave

# 4 07-10-2011 , 07:40 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi bullet

Looks like a good start
I have attached a drawover image to explain a bit more of what I am about to say:

It's a bit hard to see, but it looks like if the eyeball is a regular sphere, while the cornea( the transparent bit where you see the iris through) needs to bulged a bit:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...estructure.gif

Second, I have found that a well proportioned eye keeps more or less to the rule of thirds, the eyeball is 3 times as large as the iris, the iris in turn is 3 times as large as the pupil ( at least in a neutral position).

it looks like you need to tighten the transparency ramp on the sphere a bit as well, so that you don't see the end of the iris , normally you'd let the ramp slightly overtake this edge so that you have a seemingly smooth transition with nice shadowing

I have attached a testrender I did not so long ago ( for a certain wizard user added image ), while it's most definitly not the best eye ever it shows some reference to look at

good luck bullet user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 07-10-2011 , 08:30 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Bullet, getting there, needs a bit of work still, the edge of the iris to the white is too sharp and does need darkening as already mentioned. Also the outer eye as in the tutorial needs that hilight from the phongE shader and also a reflection.

The trouble with doing eyes on their own like this are the proportions, its usually best to stick them in a head model to gauge the sizes of the iris etc to be completely spot on. Dividing it into the thirds is fine like this too but as I said use a head to gauge it properly

by the way Mastone....what happend to the wizard model? Have you stopped?

cheers
Jay

otherwise its getting there

Jay

# 6 07-10-2011 , 10:55 PM
Lifetime Member
Thank you Jake....I will fix.

dave LOL...you cad and yes you are probably right.

Thankd Mastone I will remember that rule!! you KNOW Im a stickler for scale and dimension LOL...though Maya tests me constantly...damn thing.

Thanks Jay...yeh I had a 13 hour day yesterday and 90% humidity in 30°C heat...so I was hiding in the aircon office iin the arvo doing it. Then went back to camp to finish it. I must admit through tired eyes (my own) it looked ok, but now having looked at it again it looks too sharp and fake LOL. Still I will fix...and learn thank you all guys. I will have to extract digit jay and finish Ramsay..I have started the head now so will have that to put my eye into.

Mastone, it is spherical but I do have the corneal bulge in there...maybe the transparancy is too soft? I will post a contour of the eye shortly so you can see. user added image

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 07-10-2011 at 11:15 PM.
# 7 08-10-2011 , 01:06 AM
Lifetime Member
Doing a new one when I have time...is this right Mastone...I know proportions will vary a little and that a LOT of eyeball is covered by the skull.

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 8 08-10-2011 , 09:04 AM
Hi Bullet

I only use the rule of thirds as a guideline, as Jay says you'd probably do some tweaks when you put the eyes in the head, depending on lighting/type of character ( meaning having a concave or a convex iris).
I see you have used a Polysphere as the eyeball, try doing it using a nurbs sphere and by inserting isoparms and scaling and moving points adjust the shape, nurbs give a more natural fall of imo.
The reason it doesn't look right could be the fact that you're in an orthographic view which tends to distort, try doing a 3/4 render in the perspective view and use IPR to tweak it.
try adding reflection and refraction (blur) and add a HDRI Image as a lightsource( maybe only for the reflections).

And no Jay I haven't stopped with Snape, I have some issues with my bladder which all of a sudden seemed to play up another thing is that I have been watching a couple of tutorials on charactermodeling, which I think are worth sharing here:
https://eat3d.com/maya_portraits
https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...kles-in-ZBrush
https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...acter-Modeling
And yet another thing is trying to get my head around renderman, it's a really great render( or better said shading) engine, but there is surprising little info on it, you either have something super simplistic , or something very complex ( an ILM paper on subsurface scattering algorithyms).
If anyone here is interested in giving renderman a go, they have made their courseware public :
https://renderman.pixar.com/coursewa...w/Main/WebHome
You can ask them to give an eval license, in general they aren't very difficult( which is surprising since they are a big company) and let you try it out and try to think with you as well.
Sorry for hogging your thread Bullit user added image

# 9 08-10-2011 , 10:38 AM
Lifetime Member
No probs mate...and I HATE NURBS so that aint going to happen. Yeh you are right I guess front on it will look strange. Still thank you for the help mate...all being taken on board.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 10 08-10-2011 , 10:49 AM
Word of warning on the gnomon tutes - they can get very glossed over in the approach, so just be aware. They tend to pause if a mistake is made making the whole thing very smooth, so if mistakes are made and you are learning, you may not necessarily know how to get out of the hole.

Anyway carry on Bullet....over to you mate.

Jay

# 11 08-10-2011 , 11:58 AM

Word of warning on the gnomon tutes - they can get very glossed over in the approach, so just be aware. They tend to pause if a mistake is made making the whole thing very smooth, so if mistakes are made and you are learning, you may not necessarily know how to get out of the hole.

Anyway carry on Bullet....over to you mate.

Jay

You're right and they also sometimes forget to explain certain things ( which you don't know if you're a beginner) or to include some textures.
But they are ( again imo) better than let's say Digital tutors who keep overexplaining stuff and an unprofessional approach which drives me bonkers when I watch them.
In my case I only buy tutorials because there is a certain thing explained, with that alien surfer dude tutorial on this site for instance I am wondering how the NCloth is connected to the rig, if it's an other way than using a wrap deformer and storing a preset in the NCloth menu I might pick it up when I get to rigging on of my characters ( as long as it's not pinting weights on the clothes as well I reall hate painting weights user added image)

Again sorry for hogging the thread Bullit user added image

# 12 09-10-2011 , 07:00 AM
Hey Bullet,

maybe worth a look. Ive got two great tutorials here for eyes. Unfortunately they are in spanish and portugese but the images should help anyway and for certain things there´s still google translator user added image .

Take a look here and here

# 13 09-10-2011 , 08:40 AM
Lifetime Member
Duke,

Those are pretty nice instructions especially for those of us lucky enough to know Spanish. Google Translate does are pretty good job only a few sentences that translate weird.

Jake

# 14 09-10-2011 , 10:07 AM
Ahh Kris 'Antropus' Kosta's tutes, I haven't seen those for years!!! That guy is a modeller at ILM these days, he did some great work on Rango!!

Mastone:

Yeah I agree, digital tutors are a little over explanatory. With regard to the attachment of the cloth on the Alien tute, I was a little more conventional in my approach which in hindsight beats the hell out of the DT approach, I'm not going to tell you how I did it, you'll just have to download it otherwise there'd be no point to the tute, LOL, but its a real eye opener anyway....

cheers matey

Jay

# 15 09-10-2011 , 05:13 PM
Yeah...i came across his site during my time at uni...This guy has some serious skills. user added image