Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-04-2011 , 08:07 AM

languages and fsm help

I seem to be stuck in the last section of my maths work,just cannot seem to grasp the logic behind it.....somebody please help??
here the last 2 questions.

a) Design and draw the state transition network for a deterministic nite state
machine acceptor for input alphabet {0; 1} which would accept strings which
start with 01 or 1, followed by any number of 0's, and and ending in the sequence
101 and no other strings.

b) Write out the State Transition Table that describes your machine.

thanks in advance

# 2 04-04-2011 , 11:48 AM
Subscriber
i assume you mean "finite state machine"
this was quite easy for me, so it might be hard to explain.

first of all.. what have you been told about them and what is the result of your attempts at it?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 04-04-2011 , 01:53 PM
well we was giving some notes over the weekend to look at and to answer the questions, regardless of how much I read through them I just struggling with the concept ( never touched anything like this before in mathmatics ) I have asked a few people but there having the same proplem I am having

someone suggested something like this??

Attached Images

Last edited by silverspawn; 04-04-2011 at 01:58 PM.
# 4 04-04-2011 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
that is something and it does solve the question.
you basically follow the arrows and write down the strings that you get and see if it solves your question. and adjust it if it doesn't

with that in mind, can you see if you can figure out why that diagram works?

later tonight in 10 hours or so when i get home i'll give you examples that will help you

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 5 05-04-2011 , 08:50 AM
thanks chirone... anyhelp would be greatful !!! I think that the automaton is incorrect because as far as i know ,what I was told it does not accept 101.

# 6 05-04-2011 , 09:41 AM
Subscriber
you're right. It doesn't accept 101... woops haha

I have an example for you
Come to think of it, what I've done probably isn't so great. I've solve part of the question for you, but I have explained (or tried to) why I did what I did.
In the following example I made some non-finite state machine that starts off trying to solve half of your question. I assume you know that finite state machines have a branch coming out of each state/node for each letter of the alphabet. Therefore, to make this example a finite state machine some of the nodes need to know what happens when the other letter is chosen. In some cases (such as S_5 it'll go to a sink state (a state where following any letter goes back to itself)

I hope that having broken down the process like this will help you figure out the rest.

also, I really hate word for doing these diagrams...

ah right, i drew that without looking at the thing you already have. As you can see, so far it looks the same. But as you pointed out, the one you have doesn't work for 101. What I gave you can be modified to accept the rest of the valid strings.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chirone; 05-04-2011 at 09:45 AM.