Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-05-2005 , 05:22 PM
Subscriber

Another Guitar Project

Hi everybody. Its me again, I have re evaluated my work ethics (sorda) and have to decided to redo my tom delonge guitar project and finish through............................BURP! But anyways, I think I have progressed alot since my other project and am determined to finish this one, and on top of that I have upgraded from PLE to an actual MAYA version. YESSSSS! But the little time I have spent on the project and I have already come to a problem, It has to do with the curves. I read on the modeling guitar thread that the best way to model the body of the guitar is to draw a curve line out of the body (which I have done) but when I try to use the open/close curve command so I can use the Bevel plus to make the body I end of with this. It may seem like a good shape for my body but I get these weird little parts where the geometry intersect. PLEASE HELP.

THIS IS A PIC OF MY CURVE.

Attached Images

Last edited by alienscience; 08-05-2005 at 05:46 PM.
# 2 08-05-2005 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber
This is my problem when I use Open/Close curve (I select ignore under the extra options for open/close)

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 11-05-2005 , 05:00 PM
Subscriber

Curve problem

Is the curve made from 2 duplicated curves attached?
If so, then you need to reverse the direction of 1 of the curves before attaching THEN bevel it as far as I know.

Regards Scraggy

# 4 11-05-2005 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
Hey, thanks for the help, but it is one single curve. And I get the geometry from the curve when I select open/close curves, I cant even get to the bevel plus without this problem.

# 5 12-05-2005 , 02:17 AM
Subscriber

?

Any chance of a lower view shot so i can clearer see what looks like "twists"
And how have you built it so far...

To help me help u Scrag

# 6 12-05-2005 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
Do you want a lower view AFTER I open/close them? If so I can do it tonight, have to go to school soon. But I will just edit this post.

Edit:Crap, you cant put in a pic for an edit if you didnt already have one, lol. Sorry

Just putting these links up for a school project so I can get it at home.

https://www.city.toronto.on.ca/

https://www.math.toronto.edu/toronto/

Last edited by alienscience; 12-05-2005 at 04:16 PM.
# 7 12-05-2005 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
Hmm,
So If I understand you correctly, then you are saying that the geometry just appears out of nowhere when you close your curve?
Like before you even apply another tool?

Scrag.

# 8 13-05-2005 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
Exactly what I mean, sorda weird. I think i will try to re create a curve outline again and see what happens next. I might have deleted history or undone to many times. But still I dont understand where I went wrong. Ill post a pic of the new curve after it has been open/close.

# 9 13-05-2005 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber
Ok I have now redone the curve and open/closed it and it work perfectly fine. But now when I do the bevel plus I get this. What am I doing wrong?

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 13-05-2005 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
Hi,
I'm not that sure really, looks very strange but looks as though something like a c.v. or two got moved out of position somehow, and is trying to connect up to that point then back... Look at the end of the "spike" see if there is a c.v. or more that may be missing from your curve.

Scraggy..

# 11 13-05-2005 , 11:03 PM
Subscriber
OK, im going to edit this post just to save space. I just wanted to say that I have redone the curve completely again and open and closed it with no problems. Then I decided to use loft for the body, I set the poly count to 500 and used fill hole to fill in the top and bottom of the body. I have a question though, it is about texturing, is it better to have more faces on a peice of geometry, does it make the textures look better? Because the part where I filled the hole only has one face in it. Ill post a pic on the body and the wire, along with what happens when I subdivide the one face.

Last edited by alienscience; 14-05-2005 at 01:03 AM.
# 12 14-05-2005 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 14-05-2005 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber

Noob attempts answer.

Hiya,
Glad you got it sorted out, and it's looking 'mighty fine'
Good work! As for the texturing, I'm not 100% sure of the answer, but 'I would have thought' that its not the number of 'faces' on your poly that will make a difference, only the 'resolution' of the texture applied to the region.
However I may be completely wrong, so I would like to see other comments on here so we both 'know' the answer.
(I'm sure I saw a similar thread recently, I will go have a look)

Regards Scraggy

# 14 15-05-2005 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
Hey scraggy, thanks alot for the help. I really respect the compliment, thats probably the first one I have ever gotten :sad:. But atleast I got one user added image So now I have moved onto the headstock, i am in the process of getting photoshop so I think it might be a while before I get to texturing. But so far I have made the headstock basically the same way as the body, ill post a pic of it. Ill also post a pic of the real guitar also.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 16-05-2005 , 03:28 PM
Simply Maya OG
On your first attempt, it looks like you had the Bevel Plus options off. Try lowering the "Bevel Width" option. You dont have to close/open the curve, as long as the very last vert you laid out is snapped the the very first vert. Just use vert-snapping, and you should be fine. Hotkey is the "v" key. When I made my guitar, I used the Bevel Plus for both the body and the headstock. It gives them those nice slightly rounded edges. Just a suggestion. user added image

- Hybrid