Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-11-2005 , 12:34 PM

Nov/Dec - Noob - cris007

I'm almost a complete beginner with Maya, but I'm going to give this a shot. I decided i'm going to model a coffee machine and while i'm at it i figured i could learn how subdivisions work. Since it's the first time i'm using them i hope they're not going to give me too much of a hard time. Anyway here's a picture of the coffee machine i'm modeling. Unfortunately i wasn't able to find too many pictures of this model so i don't really think that my finished model will be identical, but i hope it will be as realistical as possible user added image

Attached Images
# 2 24-11-2005 , 12:35 PM
And here's a quick rendering of my current progress:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 24-11-2005 , 01:42 PM
Subscriber
wow looks real good!
how long u been modeling seems very good to me.

# 4 24-11-2005 , 02:03 PM
Subscriber
Good start on the coffee machine. One thing i have noticed is not proportioned right. It need to be pulled back a bit to look like the picture.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 24-11-2005 , 02:22 PM
Actually, i left that small gap there deliberately. If you look at the original version you'll notice that it doesn't connect to the back perfectly. There's a small "trench" going in between the pieces. It looks a bit strange at this stage, but i hope that it will look ok a little later on user added image. Will be posting some new progress soon.

Magicsy, thanks a lot for the compliment user added image but i'm not nearly as good as you. I saw your dyson vacuum and i find it to be incredible. Keep up the good work user added image

# 6 24-11-2005 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
user added image
lol thanks for that. im only in my 6th or so week at using any modeling software.So any crit or comps is lovely!
Anyway good luck in the competition.user added image

# 7 25-11-2005 , 10:58 AM
19 year Veteran
Would love to see a wireframe on shaded if it's permissable?

# 8 25-11-2005 , 11:54 AM
Ok here's another image of my current progress. I found the top lid to be extremely tricky and ultimately i still didn't get the result i wanted. :headbang:
I decided that i'm going to add the details (the place where all those hard edges extruded inwards) separately (that's why there's a hole there) but i really have doubts that it will fit right. Can anyone please give me an idea on how to make this top part.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 25-11-2005 , 12:08 PM
Oh yes and here's a look at the wireframe. As you can see i'm really having problems with that top user added image. Would appreciate any suggestions.

PS: Is there a way to render with shaded + wireframe (i just made a printscreen)

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 25-11-2005 , 01:30 PM
19 year Veteran
There is currently no easy way to render a wireframe with maya. From my experience, you basicly have to map your UV's and use them as a texture map. Though there could be another way.

Anyway, I'm not seeing the problem your describing for the top of the model. Is it a problem with the mesh?

# 11 25-11-2005 , 01:42 PM
Subscriber
i see what your saying cris, its something similar to what i had to do, basically u have to use the split poly tool to make the shape of the grill thing then use the extrude face tool once u have created more faces (using the split poly tool)
Hope this is wot u mean.
Simon.

# 12 25-11-2005 , 01:49 PM
Yes, the grill is exactly what i mean, but here's my problem. There's basically a lot of faces that would need to be created there to get all the detail in. Now, from what i've seen, when working with subdivisions it's a pretty bad idea to not have quads just about everywhere on your mesh. Thus my problem. If I add all those faces there, i have to add a whole lot of faces elsewehere and what's more, since the detail is no longer uniformly added my subd also takes another shape. My idea was to just leave a big square there and add the details on a different subd surface that i would then just insert in there. And i did that, as you can see in the image below. But as you can also see in the image below they're not joining too happily (there are some discontinuities in the vertices around the box and also near the adjacent hole). So that's my conundrum.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cris007; 25-11-2005 at 01:51 PM.
# 13 25-11-2005 , 01:56 PM
Subscriber
hmm i dont see much of a problem apart from the fact the box is more highlighted, but im only a noob lol.

# 14 25-11-2005 , 02:18 PM
19 year Veteran
I reccomend redoing that whole top piece as a nurbs surface. That way you can trim and loft the detail in place. This is just a reccomendation.

# 15 25-11-2005 , 03:21 PM
Yeah I was thinking at one point of remaking it with nurbs and i might just do that since i can't find a way of doing it with subds.

Anyway, I just added the handle and here's a rendering from both sides.

Attached Thumbnails