Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 46 07-02-2008 , 08:47 PM
Jr.Who
Finally done with the UVs!!! :zzz:

Attached Thumbnails
# 47 10-02-2008 , 11:55 AM
Jr.Who
Got my new tablet yesterday! I used to have an Adesso Cybertablet 6400 and I just got a Wacom Bamboo Fun (small).

Here's the differences:
•The Adesso was cheap, only $55 new. I got the Bamboo (2 months old) on eBay for $65 (with shipping).
•The Adesso has a longer cord.
•The Bamboo's cord can be disconnected.
•The Bamboo takes up a lot less room.
•The Bamboo's design is much better, even the box is better!
•The Bamboo's pen doesn't use a battery, so it weighs a lot less.
•The Bamboo has much better support for Mac OS X. My Cybertablet has 12 function buttons, none of which work, because of the terrible support for OS X from Adesso.
•The Bamboo has a ring that glows blue at the top. Who doesn't want that? I've been ogling over it since it came. :eek3:
•The Bamboo pen's other end is an eraser (works perfectly in PS).
•You can hold the pen higher over the surface of the Bamboo (for tracking).
•The Bamboo has a much cooler pen holder, that unscrews (so you can put the extra tips in there).
•The Bamboo came with 3 extra tips, whilst the Adesso came with only 2 extra ones.
•The Bamboo feels like its much higher in quality.
•The Bamboo has more settings to tweak in the System Prefs.

Overall, I wish this Bamboo came out a year ago, before I got my Adesso. It has much better support for OS X, the one thing that made me hate Adesso so much. I emailed Adesso several times, telling them how bad their support is. One of their support people said they would work on it… that was over 6 months ago.

Now, I have to sell that Adesso on eBay… anyone here interested in it? user added image

Last edited by Jr.Who; 10-02-2008 at 12:08 PM.
# 48 10-02-2008 , 12:14 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Well I'm happy to see you got the UV texturing done!

Thats the worst part of a project for me :headbang:

Congrats on the new Tablet.

That Bamboo sounds great! I wish I brought my Tablet from Ebay, but instead I got my Wacom Graphire 6X4 for $100 from best buy. The very nest day I was browsing Ebay and found the same tablet for $50 bucks.

But I guess mine came with a years warranty.

Anyway, have fun user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 49 10-02-2008 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
looool love how you lined up all the positive and negative things about your products....

Hahahahaha.

Yes the wacom is kickass. I love the tablet use it allot for photoshop and zbrush.

Thou i have an old one Graphire Studio A5 size.

But it dose everything i need, love it!

Now jr.who stop posting and start texturing user added image

I want to see this killer in supreme state man user added image

Keep up with the updates.

# 50 10-02-2008 , 02:12 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Mayaniac
Thats the worst part of a project for me :headbang:

But I guess mine came with a years warranty.

LOL! It's the worst part for anyone!

Luckily I don't break stuff too often, so I don't need warranties. Although, it probably lets you worry less. user added image

Originally posted by AikoWorld
Yes the wacom is kickass. I love the tablet use it allot for photoshop and zbrush.

Don't even mention ZB to me! We're supposed to be getting it by the end of the month, and I can't wait!

Anyway, got a lot to talk about. First, my partial color-blindness is really becoming a pain now.

I'm also having problems with Maya (so surprising)! In my perspective view, it's not showing my textures, just white (this has never happened to me before). I also get this error in the SE when I select a material in the Hypershade:

Code:
// Error: 	tokenize $upstreamPlug "." $buffer;
 // 
// Error: "$buffer" is an undeclared variable. // 
// Error: 	string $bump2dNode = $buffer[0];
 // 
// Error: "$buffer" is an undeclared variable. //
Besides all that, I got most of the base colors put on. What do you guys think? I've decided to use 4096 x 4096 textures this time around to see the difference. I'm already loving how much more I can zoom in.

Attached Thumbnails
# 51 10-02-2008 , 02:16 PM
Jr.Who
I remembered that I used to collect these pirate ship models a while back, so I got them from under my bed and took some pics on the ones I like. Two of them stuck out at me and I think I'm going to use a mix of them on my sails.

The first one's sails are old looking (the look I want). This is what I'm going to use for the base color.

Attached Thumbnails
# 52 10-02-2008 , 02:17 PM
Jr.Who
And the second one's sails are awesome! I think I'm going to used that tattered, dirty look (from the first one) and put a scull and crossbones (from this one) on top of it.

Does this sound OK?

Attached Thumbnails
# 53 10-02-2008 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber
thats reel cool man,

I think you should redo your material node, seems a weird problem.

Hey and don`t mind colour blindness, i have the same thing, nobody has noticed so far user added image

even if your colour blind, everybody sees a colour different. user added image

I think that dirty look will be wicked man.

# 54 10-02-2008 , 02:37 PM
For textures you could be hitting the max on the card running with those high maps, you might have the prefs set too low to display the ones you have in there.

You could see what the variable thats being assigned is to see if you can fix the error (as thats what its saying)

Its looking ok, so far, if your going with old raggidy sails I would make the transprancy map first (to get some holes and that) then apply the colour map to that.

A lot of this will come form the variations in the colour maps, and it will set the scale of the project to.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 55 11-02-2008 , 11:08 AM
Jr.Who
Thanks, Aiko.

Originally posted by gster123
For textures you could be hitting the max on the card running with those high maps, you might have the prefs set too low to display the ones you have in there.

You could see what the variable thats being assigned is to see if you can fix the error (as thats what its saying)

Its looking ok, so far, if your going with old raggidy sails I would make the transprancy map first (to get some holes and that) then apply the colour map to that.

A lot of this will come form the variations in the colour maps, and it will set the scale of the project to.

I just set the limit higher in my prefs, but once I open them up again, it goes back down. Must be the video card. user added image

Hmm…… transparency map? I'll have to look into it. Do you have any info on it? I was going to save them as PNGs, but I kept having problems with them.

Here's the work for today. Just got the base colors laid onto the unmapped stuff.

Attached Thumbnails
# 56 12-02-2008 , 12:09 AM
I think that if you use something with transparancy enabled (like a PNG or a .tif) Maya mapps it automatically to the transparancy node when you load it up as a colour map.

Other than that its just a black/white image (or grayscale if you want) that you mapp into the transparacy node.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 57 14-02-2008 , 06:01 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
I think that if you use something with transparancy enabled (like a PNG or a .tif) Maya mapps it automatically to the transparancy node when you load it up as a colour map.

Other than that its just a black/white image (or grayscale if you want) that you mapp into the transparacy node.

Yeah, I might just go with a PNG for the final texture, but for now, JPGs are going faster. :p

I'm not rushing this project (got till the 22nd!), so I'm taking it slowly and making sure I get everything in there right. Got a couple wood textures on it, but not on all of it. Still have a little tinkering to do on the unmapped stuff, but for now I'm concentrating on the real textures.

I'm hoping to finish up the texturing by Tuesday, so that I can work more on the ocean, the wake, and the render.

I wish I could post the HD one, as there's much more detail in it. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 58 15-02-2008 , 06:08 AM
Jr.Who
I'm really liking what this wood texture is doing to the ship. I'm thinking of putting it on the masts if I can…

Almost done with the texturing, just have to fix the masts and finish up the sails. Any comments?

Attached Thumbnails
# 59 15-02-2008 , 06:38 AM
it's not looking bad - maybe just a little plain...and blue looking. let's see some different views / close ups. user added image

# 60 16-02-2008 , 05:21 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by arran
it's not looking bad - maybe just a little plain...and blue looking. let's see some different views / close ups. user added image

Yeah, my eyes like blue. user added image

Anyway, all I have to do now is put a small bump on the ship, mess with the ocean, and render!

Attached Thumbnails