Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-03-2009 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber

Particals and ting...

bear with me cos this may make no sence at all!!
Basically i need to do a little animation of a razor blade going across the skin and taking with it some shving cream/gel that is on the skin...
the best way i can forsee of doing it is with particals. i have parented a gravity field and alike to a razor that travels through a load of particals and it gives the effect that i need... here lies the problem...
i cant get the particals to look any good... they just looks like a grid and it looks naff!
(see attached)

is there a way to have the particals act as one when it come to a material? or is there any solution people can think of??
or another way of doing it?

thanks in advance

hop it make sence!!!

Attached Thumbnails

"You won't get anything done by planning" - Karl Pilkington
# 2 25-03-2009 , 10:32 PM
Is it a close-up of individual hairs?
Or is it a huge field of dense beard-like fur?

If it is a close-up of a small handful of individual hairs like in a tv spot, I would make the hairs out of polys and convert them to nCloth.

Then, select the vertices of the hair geometry close to the area you want the cut to happen, then apply the nCloth "tearable-surface" nConstraint to them.

Now just animate the "Glue Strength Scale" attribute of the nConstraint as your razor geometry passes over the hair to make it look like you shaved-off the hairuser added image

(see attached image)

Attached Thumbnails

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 25-03-2009 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
it sounded to me like the problem was more of the look of the particles representing the shaving gel/cream on the face. I don't think it's doing what he's trying to make it do, which if I knew of a solution I'd help but I can't. the hair idea seems like a nice effect to add to the shaving that you'd like to do though.

# 4 26-03-2009 , 12:42 AM
Oh I get it now.

hmmm. I'd have to think about this one a bit more then.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 26-03-2009 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber
if you're using 2009 maybe you could use nParticles and the liquid thing it has

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 26-03-2009 , 12:44 AM
Ohhh, yeah. good point.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 26-03-2009 , 07:42 AM
If its 09 as Chrone said.

There's a shaving foam example in the presets, using this as a template for the look of the particles you could emit the particles from a surface, then use an animated passive object to move them, how you want.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 26-03-2009 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
cheers for all the help guys!
rage your way looks like it might be a better way of cutting the hair than i was doing so im guna give that a go i think!

the problem was more of the way the particals look, i'll have a look at my mates copy of 2009 and have a look at it.

thanks again
pat

"You won't get anything done by planning" - Karl Pilkington
# 9 26-03-2009 , 11:50 AM
No problem.
Were all here to help!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com