Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-12-2003 , 03:06 PM

Orient constraint a bone.

I know how orient constraint works for the most part but what I am trying to do is I have the joints of a hand and I have a cone that I want to use to orient constrain the hand to, so the hand follows the orientation of the cone. I have my hand skinned and in it's bind pose. I also have the cone in the position I want. Basically the cone lies in the palm of the hand, where objects would be held. The only problem is that when I orient constrain the joint to the cone the joint rotates to match the cone (good) and it is no longer in the correct pose (bad).

What I want is for the joint to already be orientated to the cone before I apply the constraint so nothing moves out of place. How do I go about changing the local rotation of the joint to a precise value, and how do I find out what that value should be? I can eyeball it but it is not exact, I would like to learn how to make it exact. Oh, also I froze the transforms of the cone so it's axis is in the default position. The image below might help explain this a bit. Thanks a lot.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-12-2003 , 08:26 PM
I figured out how to do it. Here's how:

1. I had to group the cone to an object I don't care about, such as a null object.

2. I then took this null object, orient constrained it to the joint so it lined up with the joint.

3. I then wrote down the rotational values that the joint caused the null object to rotate.

4. I unconstrained the null object from the joint.

5. Then I rotated the null object the same number of degrees the joint caused it to rotate when it was constrained.

6. Then I orient constrained the joint to the null object, this caused the joint to be constrained but it did not have to rotate to get to the correct orientation.

7. Then I took my cone and made it the parent of the null object, so when I rotate the cone the joint moves as well.