Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-09-2004 , 09:25 PM

2 Q's -- Splitting Surfaces & Particle Freezing

1) How do you remove a set of faces from a mesh and create a separate mesh (I need to remove MC's visor from the rest of his suit and apply a new shader to it)
2) How do I allow a camera to be moved, but have every object to stay in the exact same conditions they were through the camera's path motion? Ex: Allow a blast of fire to be panned around without the fire animating (from emission of particles)

# 2 29-09-2004 , 11:36 PM
Adding more information -- I run Maya 5 which is, I believe, updated to the latest possible version.

# 3 29-09-2004 , 11:49 PM
1) Select the faces and goto Edit Polygons>Extract.

If its just to add another shader to it you can just select them and right click, goto materials, and select the material. It will only apply to the faces you have selected.

2) So you want an animation with say the first second an explosion, you want the camera to pan... then you want the explosion to continue(matrix effect) or bullettime style?

I think you could just keyframe the explosion for however many frames you like.. Then say at frame 30 key frame it, and dont animate anymore of it. Set the camara on a motion path around the explosion. About 30-45 frames? then on the 60th or so frame keyframe the particles to continue with the explosion.

You will probably have to key the emitter to stop for the frames you dont want anythign to move, and might hasve to make the particles live forever for it to work, not to mention taking away any gravity field or anything.

This is all a guess at how i would try it assuming i understand what your saying...

# 4 29-09-2004 , 11:54 PM
Yes you understand completely, unfortunately with the extract function it blew up each and every face which leaves me believing that it was the wrong function... I doubted it was designed to make me rejoin 3000 polygons manually... and I did the shader thing, unfortunately some polygons do not fully accept the new shader (the polygon in some frames has the new shader, others have default grey, or a glitchy mixture of the two)

Starting to wonder if its time to re-install windows... all my codecs are playing tricks on my computer, my registry's a mess --

# 5 30-09-2004 , 12:03 AM
The extract function seperated each face?

Select all the faces at once you wish to seperate(if they are ajoined its the best), when you seperate them, select the object, move it a few units away to work on it in the open, keeping the verts that alight it with the other object alone. When your done set its position to 0,0,0 (local) and combine it with your other object. merge verts and you should be set.

If it doesnt work it might help if you put up a screenshot or a render.(screen with wireframe on shaded would be best)

Ill be in the topic for a while to reply.(lurking)

# 6 30-09-2004 , 09:27 PM
Sorry about not replying, after I posted I vamoosed. Don't worry about it -- I do all my modelling in Rhino 3d (100% NURBS so it is smooth, accurate, and easy to transfer), just I guess the wavefront format is messed up because some files don't even appear in Rhino, and have messed up faces/missing polygons in Maya. The model is fixed however, thanks anyway :b