Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 23-11-2005 , 05:36 PM
Subscriber
thats why i stick to polys, it may not look as clean but its a lot more forgiving if you need to fix something up or convert to say sub-d

First year 3D Grad
# 32 23-11-2005 , 11:55 PM
clopper, create a nurbs sphere with 4 vertical sections. Select the first isoparm up from the bottom of the sphere and detach at that isoparm. Delete the bottom quarter. You should now have an upside down bowl. Create a nurbs square plane and scale/move until the corners of the plane are just about touching the edges of the open part of the bowl. Now go back to the sphere and once again detach it into 4 surfaces by selecting the isoparm that sits right next to each of the corners of the plane. Now, for each side of the nurbs plane, there is a corresponding part of the sphere detached and ready to be stiched. (Match up the parameterization of the surfaces i.e. if your plane is 4x4 in U and V, make sure that the corresponding part of the sphere has a parameterization of four.) Then edge stitch each piece of the sphere to it's corresponding part of the plane., and end with a global stitch if you like. I usually squish my sphere down a little in the Y direction right at the beginning, so it starts out more like a squished ball. Personal preference though.

# 33 24-11-2005 , 03:43 PM
Working on the other side of the engine.

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 24-11-2005 , 03:51 PM
pure magic, sorry to keep pestering you, but when you stich the nurbs plane can this be done with polys via combine etc as i have never worked with nurbs?
To sticth is just a matter of selecting the isoparms and then combining?

# 35 24-11-2005 , 05:53 PM
Sure, you could do it that way. It might sound like a complicated process with NURBS, but once you have the tools down it's actually a lot quicker. I'm so used to making that NURBS environment sphere now that it only takes about 45 seconds.

The stitch tools are very useful but can be a little tricky. With the stitch edge tool you have to be aware of which isoparm you pick first because of the way the tool is set up with the bias (the bias can be adjusted), and also the tangency button in the options can cause problems if you don't know which surface you want to be tangent to what. Best thing to do is play around with some simple spheres/cylinders, stitching and detaching surfaces until you get a feel for what the options within the tool are doing.

# 36 24-11-2005 , 07:02 PM
comeing along nicely dilberts watching with lots of interest here user added image

i tried your setup for the clay render and i must have have messed up somewere............... using a lambert on the nurbs setup and my rod mesh it just renderd black yet changeing the shaders to blinn it rendered but was glossy any idea why the lambers doesn't render ??

# 37 24-11-2005 , 09:10 PM
Make sure your environment sphere has "cast shadows" off in the render stats, it could be shadowing your whole model. Also make sure the sphere has "double sided" checked in the render stats. Other than that, it's hard to troubleshoot without seeing your actual set up.

# 38 24-11-2005 , 09:16 PM
thanks dilberts i see my messup right off in your reply

sphere has "double sided" checked

i have this habit of turning everything to single sided :headbang: :headbang:

will retry it now i know to leave bouble sided user added image user added image

# 39 25-11-2005 , 07:05 AM
Updates on the engine. Starting to work on the details now.

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 26-11-2005 , 07:49 AM
Took a break from modeling for a few minutes to mess with some shaders. This was a render of a quick paint and chrome test. It's just a rush job so that I could test how my system is going to handle reflections. Suffice to say there's going to be no final gather on this project, my system crashes every time I try to render the whole bike :angery: However, I think once I mess around with the lights and reflection source, I'll be able to squeeze out a nice final render with a regular mental ray render with simple lights.

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 26-11-2005 , 07:57 AM
Sorry, double post.

# 42 26-11-2005 , 08:49 AM
i notice from your last update wich BTW is looking real good that your gona have trouble rendering it to it's best have you tried setting everything up in maya all your FG and whatever then shutting maya down and doing a batch render from the command prompt? this will give more memory and everything to the render??

i know with my rod {wich has lotsa reflections user added imageuser added image }}when i have everything showing and the FG turned up the in maya mr render struggles{{unless of corse i hide a tyre}} it doesn't crash just gives up the render part way through ..no error messages or anything just does a part render so i've started to use the out of maya batch to render with lots of FG

user added image

# 43 26-11-2005 , 04:54 PM
Thanks for the advice, I've never tried that before. I'll have to read up on it a little.

# 44 27-11-2005 , 10:51 PM
Quick low quality render to show some progress.

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 28-11-2005 , 06:59 AM
hey, nice job on the machine part.
though, i would say i like your clay renders better than the chrome ones. its not really about your renders per se, i just think that giving too much reflection to surfaces hides the high amount of detail that you put into your work...