Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-03-2007 , 05:02 PM

How do I Insert an isoparm

I have seen the dragon tutorial and want to put additional CV's like in the video but I can't get them to appear. Is he copying and pasting something??

I guess I would like to know exactly, step-by-step, how to add an isoparm.

I right click on the object and select isoparm from the menu but then when I select the existing isoparm and click away from it where I want another isoparm I get nothing.

Please help.

# 2 22-03-2007 , 05:05 PM
Subscriber
Right click, click on Isoparm. Select a current Isoparm while holding Shift. Drag them to wherever, holding shift down you can select as many as you want, then go up to edit NURBS and sleect insert Isoparms. or if you have a shortcut key use that.

# 3 22-03-2007 , 05:08 PM
Lifetime Member
when you click on the isoparm you have to keep you finger clicked down and drag the isoparm to the new position then once you have the isoparm or parms you want to finalize the action you then have to select insert isoparm (editNurbs/ insert Isoparms)I beleive maya 8 and above is edit surfaces /insert Isoparms.

# 4 22-03-2007 , 05:47 PM

Thanks alot guys for the quick response

That is what I thought I was doing. However....when I click-drag an existing isoparm I get like a million copies that follow my drag. (maybe a slight exageration..but not by much. It is almost like mouse trailing cursors. Then when I go to insert isoparms there are waaayyyy more than I want.

I am just trying to duplicate the procedure from the dragons head tutorial. Using 8.5.

# 5 22-03-2007 , 05:50 PM
I have maya 8.5 Unlimited and sometimes I see the same thing. However, when I complete the action, it only inserts one and not all the ones trailing. How do you complete the action. Do you get the same result when you complete the action by the shortcut key and by the menu?

Last edited by Perfecto; 22-03-2007 at 05:52 PM.
# 6 22-03-2007 , 05:54 PM
I use the menu under (I believe) edit nurbs??

# 7 22-03-2007 , 06:02 PM
It probably shouldn't matter but just for grins, try this shortcut if you have it in your version. Also, have you tried rebooting or does it always do the same thing regardless?

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 22-03-2007 , 06:03 PM
I will try it when I get home. I am at work now just goofing off but it is almost Miller time.

You guys have been such a great help already...you may have saved my life...I thought I would have to blow my brains out.

Thanks again!!

# 9 22-03-2007 , 06:03 PM
I will try it when I get home. I am at work now just goofing off but it is almost Miller time.

You guys have been such a great help already...you may have saved my life...I thought I would have to blow my brains out.

Thanks again!!

# 10 22-03-2007 , 06:09 PM
My apology for the HUGE picture. Looked fine when I attached it. Anyway, I will search some other forums later to see what I can find out. Sounds like I could end up with the same problem at some point.

# 11 23-03-2007 , 05:28 AM

HOOOORRRRAAAAYYYY

It worked as advertised. Once I tried using the shortcut it worked, then just out of curiosity I re-opened the scene and did it again with the menu function and it also worked.

I wonder if the "trailing" isoparms is not a screen/video thing.

Well, thanks again for all of your help.

# 12 23-03-2007 , 06:28 AM
I really glad it's working for you now. We all know how frusterating it can be when things don't do what they're supposed to do.

FYI, if you want to add a menu item to your shelf. First click on the shelf tab you want the shortcut under (shortcut is added to whatever shelf is currently displayed). Then left click on a menu item while holding down the Shift and Ctrl keys. Presto, a shortcut for the menu item now appears on your shelf. I'm a newbie and learning this from Simply Maya really helped speed up my modeling.

Also, I'm pretty confident that using the shortcut key is not what restored your Isoparm to normal as you suspected. If you ever do find out the exact cause, please let us know.

# 13 23-03-2007 , 01:49 PM
Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now. However, as I go along I wanted to add a couple more isoparms and just repeated the steps that you told me, but, I didn't get any more CV's with the isoparms which is what I was needing to shape it.

I have gone back to the start and I have no problems doing that as I am just fumbling through it. I can't tell you how many times I've started over already.

Thanks for all of your help.

# 14 25-03-2007 , 04:54 PM
Subscriber

Re: HOOOORRRRAAAAYYYY

Originally posted by mikehorne
It worked as advertised. Once I tried using the shortcut it worked, then just out of curiosity I re-opened the scene and did it again with the menu function and it also worked.

I wonder if the "trailing" isoparms is not a screen/video thing.

Well, thanks again for all of your help.

Yeah I got the trailing thing too. Using ati X1900XT-X graphics card - not sure if it's D3D or OGL (Don't know which maya uses for default).

Also doing the dragon project. It wasn't made entirely clear in the video - took a bit of trial and error for a goon like me. But once I worked out you had to reselect your first isoparm and then drag all the while holding shift for each new one you wanted to add it all worked great.

I thought that you just had to hold shift, select the first one, then click once for each new isoparm you wanted. Boy did I feel dumb when I actually WATCHED what Kurt was doing properly :headbang: user added image

# 15 25-03-2007 , 07:56 PM
That is exactly what I thought I was supposed to do also (just click after I selected the original Isoparm) it was driving me crazy.

But after I got some pointers from perfecto I scrapped the entire scene and started over and everything just worked as advertised, but I still get the trails.

Thanks for your comments, I am finally moving on to the next part of the tutorial.