Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-08-2007 , 01:30 PM

Painting Weights - HELP!!

Hi ppl

i'm a newby so please be lenient. this is my second attemp to get along with painting weights, first time didn't seem to do it right. i have a poly model, rigged and smooth-binded. by default, it naturally gets shitty binded so the next step is to paint the skin weights. when i started to do so, the first thing i've noticed is that not all of the bones are listed in the influence box in paint weights tool options(any idea why?!). ok, so how should i start to paint? is it possible to just correct the default painting or do i have to clear it all and paint from the beginning? every time i paint the influence of some bone, changes appear in other bones influences and parts of the model. tried the 'hold weights on selected'(what's it for and when to use it?) option but it's doing me no good as i get info that 'can't change the weights because of locked influences', it's driving me mad. i have no idea where to start and how to do it. any help would be really appreciated..

Damned Soul
# 2 30-08-2007 , 05:55 AM
Hi Dammned Soul

Not sure if this is going to be what you need but before skinning, select your mesh/skin and delete the history (Edit->Delete by type->History).

Then skin.

This nearly drove me nuts before I came across the solve

Cheers

# 3 06-09-2007 , 12:47 PM
how u goin bud
well what i usually do is is just use the replace paint option so in the paint weights attributes select that option so its more of a deleting what you dont want not adding new things about weights changing other weights this can happen when you leave an odd spot say uve deleted all of an area but just missed a tiny spot paint weight ing can be tedious but tak eit slow and be precise