Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-10-2012 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber

random rotate expression

Hi all, I have been ripping my hair out trying to get this correct. What I have is an airplane that is instanced to particles and moved in formation with an air field. Simple enough, but what I need now is to randomly rotate them like if they are individually rocking back and forth (twists where wngs go up and down).
Have a creation expression of: particleShape1.RandRotate = <<0,0,rand(-3,3)>>; because I want the planes to be created with a rotation, randomly, between -3 and 3. Again simple enough, but now where the problem comes in, I need them to twist smoothly and randomly between -3 and 3 during runtime.
Have a runtime expression of: particleShape1.RandRotate += <<0,0,sin(time*2)*1.1>>; which works, but it does not sweep between the full positive and negative degrees. Would not make any sense to have them only rotate between 0 and 3 say haha.
Anyone have any ideas? user added image

# 2 06-11-2012 , 04:06 AM
Technical Director
You can do this by the following function: (3/2) * (sin(x) + 1)

You also have to remember that in Maya, sine expects units in radians, meaning that 2*pi = (~6.28) = one full cycle of sine. Therefore, in 6 frames, you make a complete cycle of sine. In your expression, you have halved that (remember that multiplying inside the brackets does the opposite transformation), so it now takes 3 frames to cycle completely. The minimums and maximums of sine are found at pi/2 and (3*pi)/2. (Green lines) Since (2*pi)/3 = ~2.1, you are jumping past pi/2, and again past (3*pi)/2. In the example where you are currently hitting are the red lines.

user added image

In short:
float $speed = 0.02;

pCube1.rotateZ = (3.0 / 2.0) * (sin(frame * (1.0 / $speed)) + 1);

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 06-11-2012 at 04:32 AM.
# 3 03-02-2013 , 05:15 PM
The noise() function is handy for these kinds of situations. It takes in time and outputs values between -1 and 1. So something like this would work:

Code:
float $fFreq = 1.0;
float $fMag = 3.0;

myObject.rotateZ = $fMag * noise(time * $fFreq);

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 03-02-2013 , 07:43 PM

You can do this by the following function: (3/2) * (sin(x) + 1)

You also have to remember that in Maya, sine expects units in radians, meaning that 2*pi = (~6.28) = one full cycle of sine. Therefore, in 6 frames, you make a complete cycle of sine. In your expression, you have halved that (remember that multiplying inside the brackets does the opposite transformation), so it now takes 3 frames to cycle completely. The minimums and maximums of sine are found at pi/2 and (3*pi)/2. (Green lines) Since (2*pi)/3 = ~2.1, you are jumping past pi/2, and again past (3*pi)/2. In the example where you are currently hitting are the red lines.

user added image

In short:
float $speed = 0.02;

pCube1.rotateZ = (3.0 / 2.0) * (sin(frame * (1.0 / $speed)) + 1);

trying to combine the commands shown here with a previous one about a flickering light
would you be willing to explain this a little more further....
or maybe i have to open a new thread with an explanation of my goal......???

The Universe is larger then you ever can think, But smaller then the size of your imagination.

all are welcome at www.ieoie.nl