Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-04-2014 , 04:10 PM

Polygon to Nurbs for IGES needed

Hey Community,

I have Clientwork to do and the Output file changed into IGES now without any other Option.

So I spend a weekend google that thing around IGES.

I choose Maya for getting the bad way from Polygons to Nurbs to IGES because i cant handle NURBS (at least not in the timeline)

I dont have permission to Upload it here for a test on it so i made a similar one from a Backup to have a foundation for your support.

I Imported my Modell as OBJ file from Max.
I went to the Modifie=>convert=>poly to subdiv
error throws up:

deleteInternalValence2Verts |Kammuser added imagelane002|Kammuser added imagelane002Shape;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 11000 -maxEdgesPerVert 40 |Kammuser added imagelane002|Kammuser added imagelane002Shape;
// Warning: file: G:/Programme/maya/Maya2013/scripts/others/deleteInternalValence2Verts.mel line 25: Nothing is selected. Select objects or components to delete. //
// Error: line 1: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

As far as i was looking for a solution i get to the point it says there are ngons

1) is there any way possible i can try to get a IGES file out of Geometr in generall? Tomorrow is Deadline, maybe someone can help me out here.
2)how can i move on to get that converted, its not that complex and as i build it it should have no verts like that...
How is it fixed in Maya, please get me a short step to get that import going.

Thanx for Livesaving

# 2 15-04-2014 , 05:03 PM
Lifetime Member
First off when you when you convert to sub div you have to watch your max poly count is set to high enough level, in 2015 its now called Maximum base mesh faces in the options of the convert command.

To get the IGES export option to show, you will have to load the DirectConnect.mll in the plug-in manager. then you can export your Nurbs selection out to IGES.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 16-04-2014 , 05:29 AM
Thanx for your reply.
Sadly its of no use for me and wont help me any further for i was not asking about the settings.

If you read carefully again you see that i provided a Errorcode from the editor which
1) shows that i set the Count to a max
2) I do not need to know where i can set the Plugin Manager things.
My IGES shows up and everything is done like that above concept.

I was asking for a solution for the mentioned modell above, which for itself does not seem to work and throws an error seen above.
The error points on some bad mesh, thats all i know at this stage, i need to get that export done

NO Clean up Mesh function shows anything and error remains after i ran through each one for itself, so after cleanup the same thing.

Tested:
a cube and the modell in the same export.
Cube works
Modell does not work

so it seems to be the modell i guess here...but i have no clue what to look for now

# 4 19-01-2015 , 09:17 PM
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I too have recently needed to convert my workflow for IGES and certain shapes are giving me issues when I convert to NURBs. For example, screw threading. The result is a bunch of pieces that are unstitched and I don't know of any fast ways of repairing it enough so that I can convert it to STEP in another program.

Basically I am looking for the optimal workflow of going from polygon modeling in Maya to creating STEP files for Solidworks so that the models can be machined.

Can anyone help with that?

# 5 26-01-2015 , 10:44 AM

Solution

Yes i did.

First lets say this:
You will always get a bunch of unstitched Nurbs Patches, which is fully correct and wanted.
I use all these Patches to get the Modells to Industry like molding etc.

a)
make sure you only have QUADS, NO TRIGONS WORKING, you will end up with a mess
b)
make sure you know your Polygon Count exctly
c)
Convert into Subdivision
d)
Convert Subdiv in Nurbs
e)
Export as IGES or whatnot

Another way is if you have it available use Rhino. It has several repair Options and is a NURBS based Construction Software similar to Solidworks.

You wont need to stitch something, all Industryfields that handle Nurbs can work with these files like they are. I never had any problems with them.

Trick is to enter subdivs first and after that converting it to subdivs NURBS will work propper
Rule:
NO TRIS and enter the Polycount when converting to Nurbs in the fields in conversation panel...

you can ask if you stuck but mainly that will give you access to the rest in 95% of the modells.
If it dont work MAYA always tells you why so read the Messages very carefully.

NO other tool can do that what makes Maya my next 3D Tool i will add to my Pipes with a license

Rhino cann be used to prduce best Nurbs TEXTS and Letters, try it also when you need TEXT or Letters..

Hope this get you going and feel free to ask

regards