Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 25-07-2006 , 11:32 AM

autodesk grudge

... rofl...

@r@nsid
but don't you think they want 3ds max to be the focus? i mean they know that maya is great but of course u would want ur own to be the one favored. i dunno lol

but it's great that the use of maya in the gaming industry is increasing lol

~The Computer Is A Moron~
# 17 25-07-2006 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by R@nSiD
As Jay said, Maya is increasing in use in the Games Industry. The only Game I know of that used XSI fully, was Half Life 2. Otherwise its just used here and there, as Maya is currently. Also Maya is mostly used for its animations tools and dynamics. Most Models/Assets are still generally created in Max. But as I said earlier, choice of applications are made by Art Directors and "Heads of Sheds" at the birth of a project.

There were a lot of rumours about what would happen to Maya when Autodesk bought Alias, but as most rumours are, it was all bull. Would you want to be the head of a company to be blaimed for the demise of the King of 3D Apps? Not Me...

and where are eyou getting all these info from?
do u have a source, or youre just saying them...
game assests are not really app specific.
the bulk of the game is in the game engine.
and all noobs want to think they are using the best app for some reason.
on max forums, there are similar forums and xsi forums etc saying their app is most used in games or films and they all seem to have some sort of unknown source where they get all these magical info from.
lame:zzz:

# 18 25-07-2006 , 12:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah I'd have to agree that there's not a lot of basis for some of those statements.

I know the projects that I've personally worked on, dynamics and particles were always done in proprietary apps, with no use of Maya or Max for them.

And on another project I was on, Max was the one used for animation because the engine utilized Max's Character Studio tools, but I did all of the modeling/texturing in Maya.

Just depends on the project, really. I have read that Maya is a little less than 50% of the industry. I'd assume, though, that Max is also a little less than 50% and the rest is XSI, Lightwave, etc. That's just speculation on my part though.

All in all, the app used doesn't matter. You really can't look at a piece of game art and say "Oh, that was made in Max" or "Of course, that was made in Maya."

In fact, in my latest Maya book, in the book's color gallery insert, I know that a couple of the models were made in Max! haha user added image But aside from a lucky guess, no one could tell me which ones just by looking!

# 19 25-07-2006 , 01:20 PM

In fact, in my latest Maya book, in the book's color gallery insert, I know that a couple of the models were made in Max! haha But aside from a lucky guess, no one could tell me which ones just by looking!

very true... but then is 3ds Max really only below 50% cause a lot of the big companies resort to 3ds max cause it's more suitable for game engines? (this is from what i've read in the autodesk's web site) :attn:

Last edited by relikz; 25-07-2006 at 01:24 PM.
# 20 25-07-2006 , 04:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
haha LOL

The big spoon comes to stir things into motion.

App specific uses are always important to the noob, which is a pet hate of mine, such as the old 'did you use MR for that?' people always need a gimmick and a scapegoat to justify any greatness or love for their chosen software. As always the answer comes down to the artist and not the software that makes something great.

Maya is more commonly used than it was for game creation (ie; models etc) but as Vlad says the engine is the real nuts and bolts of a game.

As I stated, I know Lucasarts use Maya for most animation, set and character work, the engine? who knows? Most games jobs are asking for the 3 main players these days Max, Maya and Z, some are asking for one or two out of them but mainly the 3, for a more flexible employee at the end of the day.

As for my autodesk grudge comment, its true, theres always some twat out there who doesnt like change, hence they have a grudge and make up bull to put people off.

Jay

# 21 26-07-2006 , 11:24 AM
good point there Jay. but i really wasn't asking if maya was greater than 3ds max or lightwave in game design.. well as far as i can remember i didn't.

user added image

# 22 26-07-2006 , 11:32 AM
I know, just givin it my 10 bucks worth of crap...:bandit:

Jay

# 23 26-07-2006 , 11:37 AM
lol

:p

# 24 26-07-2006 , 06:10 PM
Speaking from 8 years of working in the game industry...

No one gives a rat's a$$ what software is used. Some studios use Max. Some studios use Maya. Some studios use something else. It doesn't matter one lick. All that matters is that you're a good artist.

I will say, though, that it used to be that Max was the dominant software package in the game industry for several years. Maya wasn't even a player back when it cost well over $10,000 for a basic license compared to Max's unchanged cost of 8 years of $3500. Ever since Alias dropped the price of Maya Complete to $2000, more studios started adopting it. Part of the switch was because of the mystique of Maya (ooooo.... it was used in MOVIES....). Part of the switch to use something other than Max.

Nowadays, it really doesn't matter. Frankly, most game artists I know can use either application just fine. You get the exact same results out of each one even if how you get there is slightly different.

Now stop worrying about which software is better/more popular and get back to creating good artwork. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 25 26-07-2006 , 06:12 PM
I suppose XSI will become more popular as the basics has a pretty nifty pricetag compared to maya and max.. It still has the ugliest interface ever made though user added image

# 26 26-07-2006 , 06:21 PM

Originally posted by dannyngan

Now stop worrying about which software is better/more popular and get back to creating good artwork. user added image

Ha ha ha!! Nice one!

# 27 26-07-2006 , 09:18 PM
Yep, as I said its down to the artist...

Jay

# 28 28-07-2006 , 04:21 AM

Originally posted by Jay
Yep, as I said its down to the artist...

Jay

Sometimes that's truer than most expect.

From what I understand many game companies (with decent budgets) when they hire you, say, "So, Max or Maya?" You'd then get what you're more comfortable with.

Honestly its in the company's interests to give the artists choice. Cutting off half of the talent out there or forcing them to retrain in the competing program is much more expensive than just offering whatever the artist is comfortable with.

Believe me, they have plenty other ways to screw you over -- they don't need to yank your Maya from your cold dead hands.

Edit: Fixed link -- somehow it, instead of copying the link I selected, re-copied the first thing I copied since I rebooted. Doesn't make sense how the clipboard reverted like that -- but after all, its Windows Vista with Firefox -- tweedle glitch and tweedle glutch.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 28-07-2006 at 04:30 AM.
# 29 28-07-2006 , 12:31 PM
ya what ya'll said prolly is true

:p

# 30 28-07-2006 , 12:34 PM
Windows Vista????

Is it out now?