Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 28-03-2010 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber

"@ben:
a: active only shows the state of a link on click and will disappaer the moment you let the mouse of the link, I want to know how to make this "stick".
And thanks for your offer and compliment."

But then....use a:visited?. Unless you use images for the buttons, and use javascript to control it so that once a buttons been hovered/clicked on, it permenantly remains in its altered state. But Ive been told from said reliable web designer source, its not good practice to use images for links.

# 17 28-03-2010 , 11:55 PM
EduSciVis-er
I like your sweet image gallery, but I'd suggest putting in some control to advance through without having to click the right thumbnails to see more thumbnails. Also, resize the thumbnails as actual images, not just with the html, so that the page loads faster.

# 18 29-03-2010 , 10:05 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
@ ben:
a: visited shows the links you have visited, I want to click on a link and as long as I stay on that page I want the active page link to have different color than the other links

@stwert;
You speak wise words only I have no idea how to accomplish those things you just said user added image seriously dude I learned html/css/java on the fly last saturday so I am a tad inexperienced to say the least user added image

But thanks for thinking along I really appreciate it :attn:

# 19 29-03-2010 , 10:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
No worries, I should have explained myself better. For your images, you've got your thumbnails scaled (e.g. 500px × 375px (scaled to 100px × 75px)) Use photoshop to resize and upload a smaller image to use as a thumbnail, that way people only have to load a 100px image instead of a shrunk 500px image.

For the scrolling, add two arrow buttons, one on the left and one on the right. However you are automatically advancing your list of images when you click an image on the right side, do the exact same when you click on the arrow button, except the image shouldn't change. I don't think this should be too hard to add in. (I hope user added image)

For the currently open links to pages, presumably you have those links as separate html for each page? Or is it done with css? If you have html, just change the color of the Stills link on the https://eyellem.com/stills.html page...

Anyway, hope that gives you some ideas and keep up the awesome work!

# 20 29-03-2010 , 10:51 PM
Subscriber
to add to stwerts advice, I dont know if you know this already, but when you resize/optimize images for web use, in Photoshop, rather than just saving as normal, go to 'Save for Web' a little further down the File menu and in the screen that opens, save them as pngs, (theres a choice ...png 8 bit, 24 bit, maybe another aswell i think, dont really think it makes alot of difference), much smaller and faster loading image files than jpegs.

I dont want to annoy you...(!!) just having trouble regetting my head around the css links rules. I would have thought that a:visited would then keep that link a different colour for thereafter, so if you click on a link, then you go that page that is linked, the link thats on that page will have altered colour. I guess I must be wrong, as your doing it right now, and its been a while since I have.

Another option Id recommend for images if youre up for it, is a javascript script called slimbox, or lightbox. I think their are a few variations. I have a version I could send but it doesnt have slideshow arrows so you have to close one image when you want to look at another. Its more complicated than doing it the html way, but they always come with instructions, and I dont know any javascript and I managed to get it to work fairly easily.

# 21 31-03-2010 , 08:13 PM
Hi guys
I have been busy fiddling with this and other stuff, with regards to links keeping the color when they are active:

Normally you would do something like this:

<ul>
<li>
<a href="/xxxxx.html" >subject</a>
</li>
</ul>

Now in the ref part you type this:
<a href="/xxxxx.html" class="keepactve ">subject</a>

In your css type this:

ul.keepactive
{color: xxxx;}

So if you have multiple links in your html you can ad this class to the link you want to have active and the css picks it up user added image

With regards to the image gallery, there was an arrow with the template i have downloaded but I actually like the fact that there isn't to much junk on the page.

Do you guys have any problems loading my page( with regards to speed), because I can load the page pretty quick here no hick ups or waiting times whatsoever.

And thanks for your help guys
user added image

# 22 31-03-2010 , 09:35 PM
I would work on your color palette more. Dark grey background, with black text is barely legible.

You increased the contrast then went back to near black on black.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 23 31-03-2010 , 09:37 PM
The thin red line
Hi mastone

I get your page but a utube embeded video in the middle of your page so I cannot see your buttons, this only happens on your site, have you been hacked?,.....dave

Edit: I am only using your first link

Last edited by daverave; 31-03-2010 at 09:44 PM.
# 24 31-03-2010 , 10:26 PM
@Ct Bram:
I have been fiddling again so naturally there would be something I forgot, thanks for the heads up
Does this look better?

@daverave

That's funny I don't have the idea that i have been hacked.
What is your screensize? I have seen it on 17" and up and I have kept a width of 1024.
I also have tested with various browsers Chrome, IE and mozilla Firefox and there they displayed fine.
Are you using an old browser ?

# 25 31-03-2010 , 10:27 PM
yes the contrast is better now.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 26 31-03-2010 , 11:14 PM
The thin red line
This is what I get

# 27 31-03-2010 , 11:15 PM
The thin red line
sorry

Attached Thumbnails

# 28 01-04-2010 , 08:51 AM
That's funny, which version of IE are you running and have you tried another browser ( IE Google chrome or mozilla)

And what is your screensize?

To be honest I haven't taken older browsers into account and most people can view my website just fine so I really want to know what is going wrong user added image

# 29 01-04-2010 , 11:01 AM
Subscriber
! it was at this point i got completely hacked off with web design! i made a site for my brother, spent weeks on it in my spare time, then, when i published to the web, it did some funny stuff in some browsers. nothing major, but just enough to look wrong and break my heart. a box here shifted 20 odd pixels up, and some writing there shifted a bit so it overlapped an image. so demoralising. i dont understand how to correct cross browser issues.

i dont have any problems viewing your site, other than, on the gallery page, the images do a strange sort of transition, they sort of desaturate and then resaturate, only takes a couple of seconds. then again thats on a ps3 browser, so i wouldnt worry about it as ps3 browser is pathetic and cant even display hotmail or facebook properly

Last edited by ben hobden; 01-04-2010 at 11:07 AM.
# 30 01-04-2010 , 01:46 PM
Hi Ben

I get what you mean with crossplatform compatibility issues, but to be quite honest I really don't care if not every soul in the world can watch my site, I have tried it on different browsers of this generation, so if someone who still uses netscape 1.0 isn't able to properly watch it I really couldn't care less, because most of the time does people live in a shed and talk about the good old days when everything was better , and probably never started a 3d package.

The people who mostly watch my site ( i hope at leastuser added image ) are people who like 3d and those guys and gals are always into new tech and stuff so they probably don't have IE 5 or something like that :p