Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-07-2005 , 06:17 AM

Models never Smooth :(

during the modeling process i find my self looking at the model and seeing how edgy it is,. and that maybe normal. but i get the same resualt in the rendering

heres a pic of my friend model i have made on my own but can't get it smooth with out messing the thing up

https://img348.imageshack.us/img348/2707/edgey5vy.png

# 2 18-07-2005 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber
Make sure your normals are facing the same way, to check this goto Display -> Polygon Components -> Short Normals
if any are facing the wrong way, select them, then goto Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Reverse

hope this helps
dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 3 18-07-2005 , 08:39 AM
turn on anti aliasing in your render globals by putting quality up to production quality.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 19-07-2005 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
Another overlooked element is whether or not your normals are "hard" or "soft". As a rule, any hard edge should have hard normals, and vice versa. Hence, a perfectly smooth sphere should have all its normals set to soft. Consequently, a hard edge (as where two planes meet at an angle) should have hard normals along the edge in question.

This often becomes a problem when appending to the polygon (ie replacing/repairing deleted faces, &c), as the new normals aren't necessarily as hard or soft as the ones already on the object.

To change the hardness/softness of normals, select the offending edges (or faces) while in component mode and go to Edit Polygons>Normals>Soften/Harden and choose the selection box. When in the selection box, you can select any value between 0 and 180 (zero being all hard, 180 being all soft) to adjust the hardness/softness. Play around with it. I have found it indispensible in making hard surface or organic models look just right!

Hope this helps...

Carry on...