Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-08-2006 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber

Beginning of my first Maya short film!

Hi all!

I thought I'd post the first 14 seconds of my first short film on Maya. Would love to hear any feedback. Am still reeeeally new to Maya and character animation so any feedback would be great user added image

Here are the links:

https://www.simontaylorfilms.com/butt...tonclipwmv.wmv
https://www.simontaylorfilms.com/butt...pquicktime.mov

Thanks in advance!

Simon

P.S.

In case you want to know, the storyline is that Monty (the orange guy) finds this button that when pressed a whole load of weird things start happening, the green guy (Minty) has already pressed it and tries to stop Monty from making the same mistake.

www.simontayloranimation.com

Last edited by sjtaylor84; 23-08-2006 at 02:41 AM.
# 2 23-08-2006 , 07:55 AM
the animation is fluid, there's lots of preemptive movement, and some good timing in your pauses. there's really nothing that i believe needs fixed or changed, but it does kinda bug me a little that before pressing the button he looks around to see if anyone's there, and even after looking green dude seems to appear anyway. maybe it's just cause the environment seems void of anything. it's just orange guy and the button. maybe you could show a pov (point of view) shot coming from green guy, and he's hiding behind some box or around a corner and just barely glimpsing orange dude during the time orange dude is looking around?

another thought that comes to mind that might enhance the animation is... what if when he lands after swinging his landing takes him below the display where the button is (so he's totally out of view), and for a while all we see is nothing, then slowly his eyes are revealed, looking at the button, then his whole head appears, peering around it, and THEN he gets up to look around? i dunno about you, but i think i would inspect a button on a pedestal for some kind of sign before just looking around for witnesses and pressing it. just a thought.

either way, the animation that you have is rather well done, both with fluid movement and good timing.

oh ok another random idea. easy thing to change. put the words 'push me' on the button. fantastic.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 24-08-2006 , 03:51 AM
Subscriber

NeoStrider the animation is fluid, there's lots of preemptive movement, and some good timing in your pauses. there's really nothing that i believe needs fixed or changed, but it does kinda bug me a little that before pressing the button he looks around to see if anyone's there, and even after looking green dude seems to appear anyway. maybe it's just cause the environment seems void of anything. it's just orange guy and the button. maybe you could show a pov (point of view) shot coming from green guy, and he's hiding behind some box or around a corner and just barely glimpsing orange dude during the time orange dude is looking around?

another thought that comes to mind that might enhance the animation is... what if when he lands after swinging his landing takes him below the display where the button is (so he's totally out of view), and for a while all we see is nothing, then slowly his eyes are revealed, looking at the button, then his whole head appears, peering around it, and THEN he gets up to look around? i dunno about you, but i think i would inspect a button on a pedestal for some kind of sign before just looking around for witnesses and pressing it. just a thought.

either way, the animation that you have is rather well done, both with fluid movement and good timing.

oh ok another random idea. easy thing to change. put the words 'push me' on the button. fantastic.

Nothing to add.
Except maybe some background, or darken the background to make it a li' more mysterious, in that way it's more acceptable that the green guy was "invisible" when peeking around.

Just a thought.

M.
files.czar.be/simply_maya
some work i composited

too_tough_to_die@mac.com (AIM)
Always up for a chat !