Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-04-2007 , 04:58 AM

Groovy things you have found in Maya recently

Just a little thread to post neat things you've found out recently.

Today I found the "use Background" shader which is actually very useful for test renders. I wish I had known about this one earlier.

# 2 26-04-2007 , 05:18 AM
Ive recently found that you can use paint effects for thousands of uses, other than just simple painted paint effects, especially for VFX

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 26-04-2007 , 11:44 AM
ctrl-q. :p

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 26-04-2007 , 12:15 PM

Originally posted by dannyngan

LOL!

ctrl-z, is the most indispensable hotkey I know!

# 5 26-04-2007 , 01:00 PM

Originally posted by gster123
Ive recently found that you can use paint effects for thousands of uses, other than just simple painted paint effects, especially for VFX

sounds interesting - care to expand gster - maybe give examples? user added image

er- a while back neostrider told me about ctrl clicking on the axis of the move tool to ensure that when you move the object or component it will stay in that plane - very useful!

you can also use ctrl to transform along the other two axis - so if you use ctrl and drag the z scale axis, you will scale along y and x.

# 6 26-04-2007 , 01:02 PM
When point-snapping (holding "v"), I found that clicking on a single axis with the translate tool active, and middle-mouse-clicking, whatever I have selected will snap to the point I specified, while moving my selection ONLY in the axis I specified.

EDIT:

Originally posted by dannyngan

:lmao:

# 7 26-04-2007 , 02:46 PM

Originally posted by arran
sounds interesting - care to expand gster - maybe give examples? user added image

No probs, for example you can make an electric arc (the kind you see in those dome thingys) by making a curve, adding some noise on it via mel to give it some random like movements, then add a paint fx to it (say the lightening etc) to get a pretty convincing arc.

Or you can make a camera, put a sphere round it make it not renerable, parent it to the camera, make it paintable and then paint some of nice coloured paint FX to it adjust to make it transparent and then render throught the painted sphere to give a dream like effect on what ever the object looking at.

Or another cool one is making a tree "breathe" by painting a animated tree and adjuting the animation using a sine function so the branches move up and down.

Theres lots of examples in the new book I got (that really got me thinking about using paint effects ) Maya Visual effects.

Or in the same book it goes over using ambient occlusion for more than what its generally used for (spookey ghosts, scanning a skull etc etc) as it shades form the distance between the objects, so if you change the colours of the occlusion you can make the dark bits light and the light bits dark, so the closer a object is to say a plane the more you see of it, add a spookey colour to what would be the shaddow and make the white black.....

Hope it gives you some ideas!

Last edited by gster123; 26-04-2007 at 02:52 PM.
# 8 26-04-2007 , 03:23 PM
thanks gster - sounds really cool - i'll have to check that book out - though i'm still not sure what an electric arc is or a dome thingy! user added image

EDIT - oh hang on - is this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fyiqAlVKJI

sorry to hijack your thread radical edward...

Last edited by arran; 26-04-2007 at 03:26 PM.
# 9 27-04-2007 , 12:50 AM
Yup arran thats one, and as Iv'e just found out a "dome thingey" is a Plasma Ball! LOL!

# 10 27-04-2007 , 01:43 AM
Senior Software Developer
In Maya 8.5 i would have to say nCloth and the new nucleus system.

Gster and I are currently using this in a wee project (sorry don't ask as I wont tell you what it is, really secret user added image ). It has become indispensible and is a superb new addin in to the new Nucleus system Maya is having build for its new dynamics system.

Cant wait to see the release of 9 :attn:

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)