Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-09-2008 , 09:56 PM

New Project, Need Assistance

Alright Guys,

After doing a few tutorials and a few test with tools and there operations. I am gonna have a go at a character (see below) which I have wanted to do since starting maya I was just wondering if some of you would join me on this venture, I was hoping that you would advise me with guidance and direction on how to start and tools of suggestions to start and finish the projct.

As I am working on it I will be sure to post pics every step of the way,I hate to burden this on you guys but I am as passionate and optimistic about doing this than I have any others projects I have took on before. I am just in the process of finishing the dog tutorial.. then I hope to start this Wed/Thurs. All assistance is appreciated of the up-most.

I also posted this in the newbiw thread.

Thanks in advance from the

Nuisance newbie

Jason

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-09-2008 , 02:43 AM
Good luck on the project, it seems very challenging indeed, all the veins and exaggerated musculature.

~I have no idea what I'm doing~
# 3 13-09-2008 , 02:44 AM
Jr.Who
Good luck. Are you gonna use ZBrush on this?

# 4 13-09-2008 , 11:05 AM
If I am happy with the finished Project I was gonna try mudbox.

Anyone used it before??

Jason

# 5 13-09-2008 , 11:17 AM
Subscriber
Looks like a fun project. I have tried the demo of mudbox, very simple and easy to use. I have read it doesnt have the same grunt as z-brush but uses the "standard" 3D controls. I liked it.

# 6 20-09-2008 , 11:59 AM
Hey Guys,

First of all I just wanna say thanks to the guys who have aided me since joining:bow:

Well here we go my first WIP!

I have been working on this for the last 2days, and I am desperate to gain experience and knowledge to be the best I can be at 3D art/animation.

Started out by outlining the head, then moved on to creating one polygon and kept extruding the sides to create the face you see so far. I still have alot of the vertices to merge, I am sure there is a easier way to do this, there are still alot of the options and tools I am still not certain of, so I have just stuck to the basics.

O.K do your worse. Remember its the first time out on my own.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by silverspawn; 20-09-2008 at 12:06 PM.
# 7 20-09-2008 , 12:00 PM
Front Grid

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 20-09-2008 , 12:01 PM
Angled

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 20-09-2008 , 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Ewww Vista Aero theme :x lol kidding, its cute to a certain point then its just annoying.

Good start on the model, with the way you're approaching it, I'm guessing you're leaving it as a figurine type setup with no animation on it?

- Genny
# 10 21-09-2008 , 08:42 AM
Yeah figured I would stick to the basic model statue,Just to get the hang of some of the tools, May try to animate my next model.

Jason

# 11 21-09-2008 , 08:42 AM
Nice start! The characters showing through.

Youve got a few tris in ther, try to iron them out, might be the way you've approached the modeling.

What have you used as a reference to the modeling, loops approach?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 21-09-2008 , 08:44 AM
Loops approach??

Sorry I am new to this,When you say reference, what do you mean?

Jason

# 13 21-09-2008 , 08:49 AM
What process are you using to model? Box, poly by poly etc etc, also the loop placements (google edge loops) its looking pretty good so far, but a little "boxey" and not flowing in places, though its looking good!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 14 21-09-2008 , 10:21 AM
I used the poly by poly method. Found it easier. Trying to mould a shape got me frustrated. I guess practice will make perfect eventually.

Gonna do a little bit later on to try and smooth out the edges. Will post pics later.

Thanks
Jason

# 15 21-09-2008 , 11:48 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Hey Jason,

This look pretty sweet for your first Independent model.

I agree with the comments about your topology thus far.
Try not to add more Geo until you really need it. Slowly build up the detail.

Using the Poly by poly method works pretty good. It's nice because you can nail down the edges flow right away. I prefer (as of recently) to use the Box modeling method. I like to be able to nail the proportions of a character, then move onto the edge loops. But it's all the same. Once you've learned the tools (make friends with the Split Poly tool) you can make a head out of anything. user added image

Have fun!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"