Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-07-2010 , 05:18 PM

Showreel advice...

Me again!

Some advice on showreel presentation this time!

When showing off your models, what exactly do you show?

Wireframe original?
Wireframe smoothed?
Original model?
Smoothed model?

Or, all of the above?!

Many thanks in advance.

# 2 03-07-2010 , 09:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
If you are after a modelling job then wireframes, Uv layout, textures (if you do them), final version in grey and even a final textured.

Only use your best stuff too, and dont try and flood the reel with everything, be brutal, afterall you want the job. Music can be added but most of the time it gets turned off. And keep it around the four minute mark.

I recently did my reel for the second time this year and added stuff, sent it off and the potential employer wanted even more from me so I had to send still images.

Also do a breakdown list at specific points when the reel changes as to what you did. I did just models and no textures for some of mine so you have to be honest that way too.

cheers
Jay

# 3 09-07-2010 , 11:53 AM

Rendering...?

Thanks for that Jay; very helpful.

Now, in regards to rendering settings, I'm at a loss!!

I've been rendering my Maya models on turntables at HD720, adding occlusion passes and wireframes etc, but when I get it into After Effects the quality seems to lower; not sure if this is me not rendering it correctly in Maya in the first place, or the h264 that I'm rendering the reel out in AE (This is due in in a few weeks, so I don't have time to learn a new editing program).

I really am a newbie when it comes to all this technical stuff! Any advice more than welcomed!!

# 4 09-07-2010 , 11:57 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cool no worries

Im not familiar with after effects, I actually did my reel in camtasia and also windows movie maker LOL, so easy to do, no fussing. I rendered mine at 1080 so its at max then once its crushed to 720 its pretty good too. Even the one on download on my site is fine and thats crushed to 640 and is only 32mb.

I know a few of the guys on the forum are familiar with AE so hopefully they may be able to shed some light on it.

cheers
Jay