Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-10-2004 , 01:45 PM

Video Card certified for use with Maya 6.0

Hello everybody,

I'm excperiencing some problems with Maya (posted on the Technical Issues board), which could be caused by the current video card not be certified for use with Maya (GeForce4 MX 440).

In this connection, I'm considering to replace it with an entry level solution that would cost me no more than about $400.00 (equivalent to euro ~330.00). The main goal is achieving stability rather than obtaing exciting performances.

Having said that, I was thinking of selecting one of the following products, which fall exactly in the price range mentioned above.

I will try to arrange the five video cards in two omogeneous groups, since I'm aware of the fact the two models I've selected are probably better than the other three and, therefore, it would not be completely thoughtful to compare them without any distinctions.

Ok... here we go.

1st Group:

ATI FireGL v3100 or nVIDIA Quadro4 380 XGL or nVIDIA Quadro FX 330;

2nd Group (that should rank at a slightly higher level):

nVIDIA Quadro FX 540 or nVIDIA Quadro4 580 XGL.

There's a difference in price of about $80-$100 between the two groups above, whilst within the same group the video cards are aligned to the same value.
I would like to know the video card that in your opinion balances better cost and stability/performances. In this limited price range, would it be useful to go for a video card in the second and more expensive group?
In addition to this, would you prefer a PCI-X card (such as the ATI FireGL v3100, nVIDIA Quadro FX 330, nVIDIA Quadro FX 540) or an AGP-8X one (nVIDIA Quadro4 380 XGL, nVIDIA Quadro4 580 XGL) ?

Thanks a lot for all your comments. I'm not using Maya at a professional level and, therefore, I would prefer to keep my initial investment at the minimum for now. In the future I will re-asses my requirements...

Thanks again to everybody.

# 2 11-10-2004 , 07:19 PM
Is it for commercial projects?

# 3 11-10-2004 , 10:22 PM
Not at all... I'm just trying to understand how far I can go with Maya! If it happens I'm going in the right direction and everything looks like developing well, I'll then decide about improving my system etc.

For the moment I only need a stable workstation that will not give too many problems... I'm still in the learning phase!

# 4 12-10-2004 , 12:16 AM
You'll have to get some ATI opinions on those cards.....but for my two cents......get a Quadro FX 540 pci-x......more bandwidth = a happier mayan....then again I am an nvidia fan.....user added image

# 5 12-10-2004 , 02:35 AM
Well -- I'm not sure as to the official ruling on this... but so long as its not for a commercial project I don't think there's any harm in mentioning this option then --

There's been people around several forums who were talking about "Softmods"... basically, the architechture of a GeForce is identical to a Quadro. (If it wasn't encrypted) My GeForce FX 5700 Ultra is EXACTLY the same as a Quadro FX 1100, unfortunately nVidia turns everything off in their drivers. Aparently for the GeForce 4 cards, however, they are unencrypted and -- using a script which I will not mention the name of on VERY specific driver versions -- will register your GeForce 4 Ti as its equivalent Quadro 4, thus the drivers will unlock all functionality.

Now comes into the legality of this: My opinion: C'mon, they put it in there! how is that any worse from putting a tank of Nox or overclocking your computer. No-one's gonna come to your house and arrest you. But -- your warrenty is likewise garbage (which you most likely won't even have ANYWAY if you have a GeForce 4)

That's softmodding... it only works with specific cards on specific drivers... but some benchmarks shown like -- I think it was 1000% improvement (correct number of zeros... yes.. 1 thousand) in lighting, etc. calculations (on hardware mode!)

There's also -- hardmodding... but you have to have a lot of gusto, and a lot of money to attempt that (its basically unsoddering 2 bridges, and resoddering 2 different bridges to register the card perminantly as a Quadro)

There's absolutely no difference between the two cards speed, memory, or any other wise (I think the RAMspeed is increased on certain QuadroFX cards compared to their GeForces... but that will automatically be done by the drivers.) All the FX cards and the 6#00 lines are encrypted aswell...

Note: The Radeons up to at LEAST the 9800 Pro from what I hear are 100% unencrypted, thus can be softmodded to a FireGL through software easily.

And the script does NOT work with GeForce 4 MXs (just Tis), and ESPECIALLY not ones which are onboard.

Also -- if this doesn't work -- which is commonly doesn't unless you REALLY know what your doing -- you just wasted money.

Mods: If you deem this unfit for Simply Maya, you may delete user added image I don't find anything wrong with it, but, I'm not a mod :b

Last edited by Phopojijo; 12-10-2004 at 02:38 AM.