Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-10-2004 , 03:44 PM

Video Card, or more memory?

Hi all - Been lurking for a while, just decided to truly start trying to learn Maya. I have always had a passion for art, unfortunately I can not draw at all user added image -- I currently am using a DELL 1.7MHz computer. I have Maya loaded up on it, and it "Lags" quite a bit. I figure my bottlenecks were my memory (Currently 512megs) and video card (128MB nViidia card for gaming)

I am looking to upgrade to 1gig memory, but drawing a blank on which type of video card to look for.. Anyone able to give me advice on a card that will handle maya well for under $600?

Thanks again!

Steven

# 2 15-10-2004 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber
how does your maya "lag"
is it the viewports, the displays are bad?
or it lags when it loads and when u use maya's tools.
if its the latter, then i suggest getting more ram.
but 512mb is adequate to run maya. i have known ppl to run maya on 64mb of ram. i am running it on 1.5 gig of ram, pc133, they are very slow ram, so its about 512 mb considering the standard ram today, and i get no lags at all. [unless i do something stupid]

# 3 28-10-2004 , 10:17 AM
My PC is a sleeper really the only thing that takes time on it is Cloth and hair. Well My advise on the vedio card is this: Use for Modeling, games, and DvDs I would got ATI Radeon 9600+. For raw power and just modeling the new Nnida cards, or no lower then a TI 4600(what I use only mine is from MSI and I have oCed it.) Get that and you will be fine I have a Intel Celron 900 OCed at 1.2gigs and only 524MB ram.

# 4 30-10-2004 , 01:41 PM
Look I think you should get more ram cos its big pleasure to work with 1 g of ram than with 512, I now have 1 gb of ram and NVIDIA 3 titanium 200 and its really nice, I first have 256 of ram, upgrade to 512, than comes 1gb of ram an after ram upgrade a have changed my ati 9200 with 64 of ram for this GF 3 ti 200, i got question its a bit hot card, any suggestion how to cool it a bit??

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too

Last edited by Ankalagon; 30-10-2004 at 01:44 PM.