Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-09-2005 , 07:43 PM

Hardware Rendering Problems

It happens everytime i open Maya. The output window opens at say "Shadow mapping extensions insufficient to support hardware rendering."

What does it mean ? Any suggestions ? And how can i make the Harware Rendering work ?

Thx for reading this Message !!

# 2 30-09-2005 , 08:52 AM
it sounds like your graphics card can't handl open gl shadows. You will have to do the render in software mode. That would be my guess.

Why do you need hardware render?

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 30-09-2005 , 03:18 PM

Hardware Rendering

hi,

first thx for your help.

What i really want to do is to create a nice and realisic missil trail and lots of people say that i need hardware rendering.

# 4 30-09-2005 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
Hi Lads

I have the same problem...

It was completely my fault when chosing a replacement laptop for my "dead" Compaq. I didn't check for compatability of the garphics card in my "new" Sony Vaio.

So, any dynamics I do needs to be done on the workstation, (I'm sure you are aware of this Alan). A bit of a hastle but with the punishment I'm dealing out on the laptop I can't see it lasting to much longer (hopefully).

However, If you (thewebagent) are using a PC it's going to be less expensive to source a replacement graphics card.

best

Keith

# 5 30-09-2005 , 03:43 PM
you graphics card wont affect you doing dynamics apart from the speed at which it updates the screen. The open gl shadowing is a separate issue because the graphics card doesn't seem to support it.

to create a missile trail you will beed software rendered particles not hardware rendered.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 01-10-2005 , 12:58 PM
Hello,

Maybe you can try the Hardware Render Buffer (window > Rendering Editors > Hardware Render buffer) to render your particles.

good luck,

al

Last edited by alexkemp; 01-10-2005 at 01:17 PM.
# 7 01-10-2005 , 02:27 PM
Thanks for your help. Everybody.