Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-03-2006 , 02:27 PM
Subscriber

realistic look

hi,

im animating this gummi bear. But I dont realy know how to give it a more realistic look. I've attached one of the renders.
The bear has to be composited in a filmed enviroment later. It is probably going to be quite small so it doesn't have to look like a photograph.
It would have to be improved in the software render only, because I my graphics card is too shi.. to use mental ray or the hardware render.
The material type I used in the render is a blin and I added a slight noise as a bump map. But I want it to look more like the real rubbery material and not like if it was made of plastic.

thanks in advance for any help given

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-03-2006 , 03:40 PM
so you should buy some gummi bears and look at how they react to light. First off I would say your spec is waaaaaay too intense. Those things hav a very diffuse spec highlight (if any at all) and are a little see through too.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 08-03-2006 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
I bought some, but I already ate themuser added image

No, seriously I looked at them, the thing is even the tweaking in preview quality takes ages on my laptop, so after two hours of in front of the ipr I lost my temper.
But thanks. I really apreciate you guys help. (How do you find all the time to help people like me?)
I'll post an update when got a nicer result.

# 4 13-03-2006 , 02:30 PM
try giving it translusency and more translucense depth, if you haven't already..
and maybe a tiny bit of incandesensce..

# 5 14-03-2006 , 05:49 PM
I'd probably use the SSS simple shader.