Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-05-2009 , 07:54 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Star trek *spoiler warning*

*spoiler warning*

So what did everyone think?

I really enjoyed, I think it was just star trek needed after the awful enterprise, except for one thing.......... It wasnt start trek.
Ok all the crew were there, right down to the terrible russian accent but there were such obvious contradictions with the rest of trek. there were loads of little niggles, but I can live with those but the most obvious one was Vulcan being destroyed, which couldnt be any more off canon

# 2 13-05-2009 , 12:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well the point of the movie was it was a complete reboot like Batman has had. I am not a trek fan by any means whatsoever, I hate the series and the old movies as they are just boring and too damn serious, but this movie was excellent, it was cynical, didnt take itself seriously and it even has a story which is a rare thing with vfx films these days (George Lucas Take note) Plus the characters were far more interesting. Even the dudes I went with are not fans trek but came out loving it...

J

# 3 14-05-2009 , 01:36 AM
I would say the fact that they have now rewritten the whole storyline by going back in time thus making all previous star trek books and stories an alternate reality it seems that they are trying to reinvent Star Trek for the modern day people.

It seems that the people who will enjoy this movie most are the not so die hard fans that have seen the old movies but can't quote them word for word....like myself

Overall I absolutely loved this movie, it had the right amount of comedy and action user added image I kept waiting for 'Sylar' to open a can of woop arse haha user added image

Nobody's Perfect and i'm Nobody
# 4 14-05-2009 , 06:49 AM
Subscriber
I agree that this seems like a total reboot of the story. I went into the movie thinking that this was the standard Star Trek movie where everything fits into the cannon with loving and amusing details. It didn't which is kind of annoying but surprisingly didn't detract from my enjoyment of the movie at all. I think the essence of the characters was kept constant without being too dark a restart. Blowing up planet and killing billions is kind of dark but the SFX were cool...

It makes me wonder though, does it take away from the entire Star Trek cannon? (forgive me if cannon is misued) Generations, DS9, Voyager all take place two to three hundred years after the original don't they? If the Vulcans are doing the 'logical thing' to boost their numbers wouldn't they have that whole endangered species thing licked by the time the TNG era starts? Besides I assumed that Vulcans had several colony worlds like those crazy pink thingies from the third rock from the sun... err humans.

Maybe a more dedicated and knowledgeable ST fan would be able to clarify.

Anyway just my .50 I'll go back to lurking now... user added image

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 5 14-05-2009 , 07:38 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Well in every other series vulcan and romulus are never destroyed so I think its irrelevant if the vulcans could rebuild in time for the other series' or not

TBH Im not a diehard fan, ive bearly ever seen the original series, and I still really enjoyed the film but it just annoyed me that they made no attempt to keep it in line with canon, which meant I had to listen to my mate winge about it for hours

# 6 23-05-2009 , 07:18 PM
Subscriber
Apart from Deep space nine - I hate star trek - but the new film was spot on for someone like me. I love sci-fi but not camp in your face crap like what I think the old star treks are. (Its how I feel).

For too long star trek has been a pain in my side when I say I like sci - fi and at last that's been removed thanks to the film.

My only complaint was there was not enough bones. "Mr Doom" was really funny as him and I felt he was a little left out. And go Simon Pegg as Scotty brilliant.

# 7 23-05-2009 , 08:47 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
yeah, I really think it had great casting.
although I cant understand why you like DS9 :p

# 8 23-05-2009 , 09:03 PM
Subscriber
I liked the back story between the two races fighting over the same land and then the captain was a lot more human than the others (I loved the fact he did not want the job) plus there was a lot more fighting than science unlike the others.

# 9 23-05-2009 , 09:24 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by tweetytunes
I liked the back story between the two races fighting over the same land and

thats the only part of it I liked, but there just wasnt enough of it compared to the rest of the rubbish you have to watch (eg I dont care if a ferengi has to cross dress to get some money|)

# 10 23-05-2009 , 10:32 PM
Subscriber
and thats why I loved the film - because of crap like that