Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-05-2014 , 06:40 PM

Smooth Mesh Preview

Hi, I am following a tutorial for maya as I am very new to this, when I hit smooth mesh '3' everything looks good except some of the services have a random gradient which stops them from looking flat.
It doesnt happen to the whole model, just some of the components

I have attached 2 images of the before and after smooth to try and help explain it.

I have also looked at various forums/threads which have pointed to the vertex normals but I havent been able to work out how to correct as none of the suggestions for this have worked.

Any advice on how to fix this would be much appreciated so i know how to solve this if it happens again in the future.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-05-2014 , 08:28 PM
The thin red line
How did you create the bevel around the edge and could you do another cylinder straight up with the same effect...............dave

# 3 24-05-2014 , 08:57 PM
Hi Dave,

The outer loop was made with the insert edge loop tool and in the inner loop was an extrue to create the supporting edge in the same way it was done through most of the model so far.

I have tried recreating the same component and got a similar issue, although this time when i turned off the 2 sided lighting most of the component went black with grey patches, reversing the normals on that made it grey with black patches.

cheers

Attached Images
# 4 24-05-2014 , 09:45 PM
The thin red line
it looks like you have extruded onto the same mesh, a better way of doing those edges is to use the bevel tool with segments set to 2 (this will give you 3 edges) and the offset set to some thing like .05..............dave

# 5 25-05-2014 , 10:03 AM
this can also be a bugg, i remember something similar happened to me. If dave's tips didnt help you, then you can try to export the object then re-import it ... this usually fixes weird bugs on your models

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 6 25-05-2014 , 10:04 PM
Hey, using the bevel didnt help on the first try of recreating the component, but the second time of trying again it all went fine and has smoothed perfectly.
Not sure what was causing the issue for definite but I will remember both tips for next time, thanks guys.